Google Talk and Jabber

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Google Talk and Jabber

Post by ayu »

So, Google talk uses the XMPP protocol, and I have heard that Google talk can (just like any other XMPP service) work together with other XMPP servers.

I have a Google account at work (we use Google talk at work, and I just use the built in client that I have on my mail).
I tried to add my Google account as a contact on my Jabber account (I have an XMPP server at home), but it didn't seem to work ... no notifications or messages are received on either side ...

Does anyone have any experience in this and can give me some tips on the issue?

Thanks in advance! :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Google Talk and Jabber

Post by bad_brain »

hm, best would be to capture the traffic to see where it fails, best both times (google to google and google to external server) so you can compare... :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:hm, best would be to capture the traffic to see where it fails, best both times (google to google and google to external server) so you can compare... :-k
Yeah but XMPP is encrypted so I wonder if I can : /

Is there anyone who has a regular Google Talk account that could help me test maybe?

Basically what I am trying to test, is if I can add someone who uses Google Talk to my contact list on my regular Jabber account on my own jabber service, and then try some different features like file transfer, voip and webcam .. etc. The plan is to try and get as many people as possible to switch to either google talk, or to another XMPP service of their choice.

So that everyone is connected to the same free and open network, and that they can still use the service/server that they want :)
I have a lot of friends who use both Google Talk and Skype at the same time, and it doesn't seem like they know what Google Talk actually is, so I want to enlighten them ;)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I have found the problem now :)

The issue is with my Jabber server (Openfire), it needs some extra features to make it possible, so I will have to throw my lousy jabber server soon, and install eJabberd instead :)