cisco certs

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
lonewolf
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

cisco certs

Post by lonewolf »

Most people go to school in order to get prepared I've got two weeks. any ideas on what I should know before I take the test.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: cisco certs

Post by lilrofl »

um, that's a tough one because there are a lot of cisco certs... I'll assume you are talking about the CCNA because it is the most popular of the beginner certs.

Network segmentation: switchs and bridges, VLAN, VTP, RSTP configuration and verification, switchport security.... oh and STP

IP Addressing Schemes including VLSM, and the workings of DHCP and DNS.

Basic Router Operations and Configuration: Including basic Cisco IOS commands, and the configuration of routing protocols like RIPv1 RIPv2 OSPF IGRP and EIGRP. Also troubleshooting router operation with ping, traceroute and the debug commands.

NAT and ACL list, this is more router configuration stuff, but specifically how you use NAT and ACL list.

You should have a basic familiarity with WLAN tech, including pros and cons of WEP vs WPA and WPA2.

Basic WAN technologies, PPP, frame relay and VPN.

Also a good understanding of the OSI model with a focus on Layer 2 and 3, especially what protocols work on which layers.

Practical exercises would be helpful, programs like netsim will do wonders for you.

Good luck :)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: cisco certs

Post by DNR »

right - cisco certs are broken down into areas and levels of skill, you can buy books to help prep for those SPECIFIC exams, you can even try to find a uploaded copy to see examples of exams. I find that study prepares you for the WAY they ask the questions.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.