software you are using

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

software you are using

Post by Kirk »

hey guys,
so im wondering what software everyone is using for different things or what you feel is worth mentioning. Pretty much in all areas. I enjoy spending time trying new software and seeing if it fits what I need or want. never know what cool stuff you may come across, one just has to ask. I know of most of the typical applications and use them. ill include some categories below as a reference but feel free to post anything you can think of. If there is any super cool software you don't want to post but think I would like feel free to pm me. thanks.

categories such as:
anti-virus
computer management
file recovery
media
virtual machines
computer cleanup stuff
browser related

pretty much anything really.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: software you are using

Post by bad_brain »

fun thread! sadly I am using a suprisingly little amount of really interesting software...but there you go:

---Security stuff---
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus, but I usually have it disabled and only activate it when I need to scan something, I have no use for "real time protection"
- Process Explorer, replacement for the poopy Windows Task Manager

---Privacy stuff---
- CCleaner
- Mullvad VPN client
- Truecrypt

---Networking---
-- TCPview, still the best to monitor connectivity
- Wireshark
- WinMTR, a nifty ping/traceroute combo, great for troubleshooting connectivity issues

---Browser stuff (Chrome)---
- AdBlock Plus
- Ghostery
- Window name eraser
- Firebug
- IP Address and Domain Information
- PageSpeed Insights

---Misc stuff---
- Handbrake
- Filezilla
- SSH Secure Shell Client
- Notepad++
- Extended Password Generator (EPG)
- Sylpheed (best email client ever)

ok, actually it's even more software than first thought... :lol:

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Utilities
7zip
Notepad++
SumatraPDF
VLC Player

Communication
Mumble

Cleaning
CCleaner (for Registry)
Bleachbit

Anonymity
Tor
Mullvad
GnuPGP

Email/Browser
Firefox
Thunderbird (With Enigma Extension)

Browser Plugins
FireFTP
FireSSH
Adblock Plus (With Anti Adblock Killer (Reek additions)
Ghostery

Office
Open Office

Graphics
Photoshop CS6

Programming
Depends on the situation

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

lets see what I am using. I don't think im using anything fancy or anything you guys haven't heard of before.

Browser:
Firefox with firebug plugin

Media:
convertxtodvd
IMTOO media toolkit
adobe cs6 master collection

Utilities:
powerISO
note++
WinRAR

communication:
google talk

cleaning:
ccleaner

programming:
java eclipse

Pad:
nexus 10 with nethunter loaded

antivirus:
avg 2015 - usually disabled though

3D graphics:
google sketchup (my old boss just purchased a few of the makerbot replicator Z18 printers and I get to play with them. http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-z1 ... oCF5bw_wcB

im using just real normal everyday stuff. there are a few things you guys listed that I haven't heard of that im going to check out.... which was the purpose of this post.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

winrar is satan.....I hereby command you to install 7zip instantly... :o :lol:
no, really, 7zip is really THE best archiving program, and it's even free and open source...and it supports (extracting and packing) tar and gzip, which is a must imo...;)
http://www.7-zip.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Well I don't want to play with Satan so I'll install 7zip tonight. I've used it before, long time ago. I don't remember much about it though. Thanks for the exorcism.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I'm not sure anything I use it too interesting, but here we go :D

Firstly I'll second that 7zip is where the archiving wizardry is at... remember 42.zip? Classic. so, so classic lol.

I use notepad++ on windows, and I like it alright. On my Linux server, I spend a lot of time in vim though, and I often find myself coding with that through ssh actually... as inefficient as that sounds. vimtutor can get you up to speed with vim in a few hours, and included with the install.

I had trouble with a browser addition added by avast antivirus during install (I missed that check box... pay attention) nothing got rid of it until junk removal tool.

I still use avast, mainly because avg isn't the pretty lady I fell in love with all those years ago... she's put on a lot of pounds since the back surgeries :D also I don't like Kaspersky in the slightest, or Comodo for that matter.

I still use Firefox, mainly because fireFTP and swap proxy. Chrome is on this machine, but no ftp plugin makes it irritating to me.

I really like rsync for backups, windows makes a fairly good clone called cwRsync that I use.

I do most C programming in CodeBlocks, but I don't do a lot of C programming so that might be a moot point... I just like the interface, and it's functional enough for my purpose.

I use wireshark for some school stuff, I kind of prefer TCPdump though because it is easy to script. I wrote a wrapper for tshark though which makes it a little more functional, without having to remember every command line switch you would use in every situation.

I also use sylpheed for email, it is a good one.

putty for windows ssh, of course.

hexchat for irc, cause I hate mirc and irssi is a bit too rugged for 2014.

I have an openfire server and I use the spark client for jabber chatting.

I use keepass to store my passwords, because I use keepass droid on my phone, and that makes things easy for me.

Nothing else really comes to mind, except maybe spotify for music, but if I think of anything else I'll be sure to come post it.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Have you guys heard of the burp suite for monitoring your network? I'm just starting to learn it. I believe it does everything Wireshark or Tcpdump does and I know it does way way more.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

These are some of the things I use based on the launchers on my desktop and the binaries/scripts in my Application folder.

--Broiwsing
Firefox

--Download
Deluge
Filezilla

--Chatting
Pidgin (xmpp)

--Privacy/Security
Mullvad VPN
KeePassX
Tor+browser

--Entertainment
Steam
Spotify

--Development
Sublime
PyCharm
QT Creator
Eclipse

--Virtualization
VirtualBox
VMWare (work)

--Work and sec related
Maltego Casefile
sqlmap
Burp Suite PRO
ZAP
wpscan
dirb
(Firebug in Firefox as well)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Broken Angel
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Broken Angel »

My first MBP is with me... now I haven't been able the keep track on anything so if anyone here uses a MBP please guide me what Softwares to use...

I have already installed

Cleaner
CCCleaner Thou I don't need it right now but then I feel better that I have it with me.

Download
UTorrent -_- I know this is lame... But Torrents gets me free stuff lol...

Media
VLC Media Player... and yet again a lame choice... I don't have any Video or Music in my System so far and I don't know if I would want any so... I'm happy with this right now.

Browsing
Safari (looks best cause it's default)
Chrome (Doesn't give me the best fit feel in the Screen and won't load suck-o page so...)

Chatting
Skype Couldn't help but I have a long distance relationship so works like a charm for me and my girl. Apart from this again it's been more than 2.5 years that I have been in contact with anyone Online so I don't use any other tool to talk to.

Anti-Virus
NONE Haven't Installed any yet... might need recommendations this big time...

Office
Microsoft Office No matter how much I hate a Windows PC but Microsoft Excel is the best for me when I am creating Spread Sheets... Probably because my Dad's been using it since I can remember and I used to sit and watch him work on it... and then I got a hold of how to make things happen on it. I still like the idea of using Open Office but then again i am faster in MS Excel as compared to Open Office. Also I know the Formulas -_- :roll:

Pad
iPad (4th Gen) Wi-fi only... The reason I chose this was because I have Wi-fi at my work and at my home and it gave me 128 Gigs of Storage instead of 64 Gigs only with a Wi-fi + 3G one.

but it's just been a few hours and I have no clue on what to do with my system....
Help me on how to improve it so that I can be happy lol...

*thumb*

Regards,
Broken Angel

:-({|= help... lol
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel