How do you use the codes?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Dr-Chambers
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

How do you use the codes?

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Okay, so I just really about to get serious about coding, and recently learn that the five major computer languages to learn as a hacker are Python, Pearl, Java, C ++, and Lisp. I also read that Notepad is a hacker's best friend.

One thing I have always wondered about coding is where do you run them?

Is everything done by going into start and run to get the command line?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: How do you use the codes?

Post by ayu »

What language you use in hacking is highly situational, but tools and such can be written in whatever language you want really.
If you hack a server running PHP you are most likely going to be writing some backdoor or other payload using PHP.

How you run the code depends on the language.
Some languages are run in an "interpreter", which is of a half way method of running code.
The interpreter will interpret your code and compile it during runtime to machine code, and then run it.
Other code will be compiled using a compiler, to machine code which can then be run natively in the system.

You can run it on the command line, but usually you will have to compile it first, just like with any other application you run.
Some environments offer a scripting language however, which can be run directly on the command line (see bash or powershell).

I recommend that you read more into this if you want to learn about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreter_(computing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Thank you. =D>

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I would not have guessed Lisp actually, or Perl these days, would make the list of most popular languages.

Just wanted to toss in that if you are using notepad, you may want to take a look at notepad++ it's quite a bit more robust with features like syntax highlighting, tab view, PCRE and other useful things.

Code: Select all

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

lilrofl wrote:I would not have guessed Lisp actually, or Perl these days, would make the list of most popular languages.

Just wanted to toss in that if you are using notepad, you may want to take a look at notepad++ it's quite a bit more robust with features like syntax highlighting, tab view, PCRE and other useful things.

Code: Select all

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Would like to throw in Sublime as well!

If a text editor never made you come before, then prepare for extreme pleasure.

https://www.sublimetext.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

According to me, it really doesn't matter which editor you use. I've been using notepad, notepad++, eclipse, netbeans, sublime, phpstorm, and codelobster. It all depends on one's grip on the language. Notepad strengthens the learning process. But that's just while learning a new language, which could be irking sometimes.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

z3r0aCc3Ss wrote:According to me, it really doesn't matter which editor you use. I've been using notepad, notepad++, eclipse, netbeans, sublime, phpstorm, and codelobster. It all depends on one's grip on the language. Notepad strengthens the learning process. But that's just while learning a new language, which could be irking sometimes.
I would like to argue that it does, however.
At least if you take into account hotkeys! :D

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Thank you for the info.

Just to clarify, are you all saying that different computer languages can be used on a text editor for the computer to perform?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Dr-Chambers wrote:Thank you for the info.

Just to clarify, are you all saying that different computer languages can be used on a text editor for the computer to perform?
Yes, but you will always need something in between to translate your code to an actual runable binary.
A compiler or an interpreter in most cases.

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

I understand. But why use a text editor at all when there are actual computer language softwares?

Or are the use of text editors a short cut of blending computer languages together?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Dr-Chambers wrote:I understand. But why use a text editor at all when there are actual computer language softwares?

Or are the use of text editors a short cut of blending computer languages together?
A text editor is exactly what it sounds like.
It edits text, normally ASCII or UTF-8, in a file, any file really.

What happens after that is not up to the editor.
If you write code in a text editor, and leave it as that, it will be nothing more than text in a file.

"Computer language software" or "IDE" (Integrated Development Environment) is really just a glorified text editor with a built in compiler and a shit ton of other handy functions that make the life of a developer easier.
To get started, all you really need is a compiler/interpreter and a text editor. The text editor to write your code, and the compiler to compile it into something useful.

Depending on the language, you might want to install an IDE to make things easier.
Here's a list of suggestions if you are a beginner (Assuming Windows here, but most can be used in Linux as well):

C/C++ - Visual Studio Community or CLion
C# - Visual Studio Community
Java - IntelliJ
PHP - Sublime/Notepad++ (This will require the PHP interpreted, and most often you want to use this with a web server, so go with XAMP or WAMP for simplicity). I use PhpStorm for this, but it's not free.
Kotlin - IntelliJ
Python - PyCharm

Then of course you have things like Bash and Powershell, that run in the respective operating system natively.

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Oh my goodness! They never taught this in my Computer Science class!

Okay, I'm understanding this.

Just to summarise.

Softwares or Integrated Development Environments is a Text Editor, Compiler or interpreter put into one to give the computer instructions to perform.

From the list you have suggested (Thank you) the computer performs differently depending on which one used?

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

So would the structure be:

Text Editor.....Compiler or interpreter....Execution?

But all in one would be:

Text Editor.....Compiler or interpreter....Execution = Integrated Development Environment (or Computer Software)?

So the Text Editor is the input and Compiler or Interpreter is the process that gives the output?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Dr-Chambers wrote: Softwares or Integrated Development Environments is a Text Editor, Compiler or interpreter put into one to give the computer instructions to perform.
Yeah, sort of.
They are tools that help YOU give the computer instructions to perform.
Dr-Chambers wrote: From the list you have suggested (Thank you) the computer performs differently depending on which one used?
The computer can perform the same if you write code that does the same.
The language you choose to write in can perform differently in terms of speed, but for learning, and most other hobby programming, that doesn't matter that much.

What you normally want is a modern and well structured language, preferably a popular one so you get a well fed community that can give you support when learning.

I would suggest starting with a high level programming language (the closer you get to Assembly and machine code, the lower level the language is) like Java, C#, Python or PHP.
Personally I use PHP and C#, and will start with Kotlin soon.

Kotlin is quite new and is the "talk on the streets" right now since it's seen as a successor to Java, and is even compatible with Java 100% (you can mix them together and program in the same IDE with both).
A problem with Java has always been the fact that it's very talkative, and Kotlin fixes this and many other "issues".

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I was also assuming Windows, for Linux I think it's worth the effort to learn Vim or use Kate (for us KDE snobs)

As for languages everyone has an opinion, but I think PHP and Python are really good places to start for sure. I started with Python but found that PHP was incredibly useful for web bots where Python seemed to be a bit much. I am currently looking at Rust which is a language pioneered by Mozilla; I really like it, but I've only been working with it for a bit over a week so we will see.

Mostly though, have fun and good luck!
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]