Podcasting or Video Sreaming?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Dr-Chambers
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Podcasting or Video Sreaming?

Post by Dr-Chambers »

I'm stuck between doing podcasting and doing online videos (youtube).

It seems to me that uploading videos unto youtube is way more effective than just recording a podcast. But I've been hearing that a lot of people still listen to podcasts.

What are your opinions on this? Which do you prefer?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Podcasting or Video Sreaming?

Post by ayu »

I watch on youtube mostly.
Not sure why but somehow I feel that more than one of my senses need to be stimulated for me to not get bored.
If I simply listen to something then I feel like I need to be doing something else.
That "something else" is usually coding, and I normally want to listen to music when I code, not a podcast.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

That's my line of thinking.

I was even thinking of doing both and connecting them together but what would be the purpose?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Dr-Chambers wrote:That's my line of thinking.

I was even thinking of doing both and connecting them together but what would be the purpose?
The purpose would be the same as when I want to listen to music on my phone.
Some music I like is hard to get in my country, and importing it, if even possible, is very expensive.
So I listen on youtube, and have to download the youtube flv file and convert it to mp3 if I want it on my phone, since the youtube app normally does not allow you to close the screen when watching a youtube clip.
This is very annoying, so most people that wants to listen to you when going to work or doing something else than watching youtube, will probably simply avoid your talks.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

On the other side of the coin, I listen to podcast on my way to and from work, the content varies but I have around 8 channels that I work with regularly and a handful of others that have an interesting episode now and again. I use the Stitcher app on my phone to browse the shows and save the ones I want for offline listening. I would say that there is still quite a few people who match that demographic.

Youtube I'm a bit more selective of, but there is plenty of good content there as well; the difference is that with video it seems more important to find a niche that with audio. Additionally American youtubers always seem so loud, neurotic and in your face... like they can't just tell you what they are telling you, they have to jump-cut around the screen talking in elevated manic tones to make their message seem more important/relevant than it is. Mostly I find it a bit irritating lol.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

this is from my personal experience, not that I know any statistics...not sure if there even are any.
so yeah, Podcasts seem to be more popular among people aged 30+, even more 40+, people that have listened to music or radio shows before all got digital.
YT is more popular among teenagers, that's why most of the music and shows there are horrible.... :lol:

so what's the best media channel to use depends also on your target audience...;)

@lilrofl
there are so many cringeworthy german YT channels, you wouldn't believe it....mostly teenage wanna-be justin biebers who vlog about their boring lives, after latest 5 seconds you feel the urge of punching them repeatedly with a knuckle duster. seems to be the latest trend... #-o

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:this is from my personal experience, not that I know any statistics...not sure if there even are any.
so yeah, Podcasts seem to be more popular among people aged 30+, even more 40+, people that have listened to music or radio shows before all got digital.
YT is more popular among teenagers, that's why most of the music and shows there are horrible.... :lol:

so what's the best media channel to use depends also on your target audience...;)

@lilrofl
there are so many cringeworthy german YT channels, you wouldn't believe it....mostly teenage wanna-be justin biebers who vlog about their boring lives, after latest 5 seconds you feel the urge of punching them repeatedly with a knuckle duster. seems to be the latest trend... #-o
Amen and +1 to that

Anyway, this is the guy I'm currently watching a lot.
A gang of misfits ... hilarious

[youtube][/youtube]

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

@lilrofl Lol, youtube has all sorts of things.

@Bad_Brain with the age demographic seems that evrything dependence on content. So Podcast for the older crowd and Youtube for the younger.