HP dc7800p boot up from usb failure

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

HP dc7800p boot up from usb failure

Post by Thesk »

hi
so I've got this old HP dc7800P slim desktop pc.
i'm trying to boot the machine up from USB win7x64 boot device made with RUFUS.
every time i try it, it boots up and then it freezes with windows logo on the screen.

in the bios i have disabled the "Data Execution Prevention" option.
i have put the USB device as the first drive it boot, then i have disabled the Hard drive as a boot drive.

Bios main screen
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Data Prevention Option

Boot order

F9 Boot Menu

It just freezes when i select USB Device. ](*,)
I hope you can help with this :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: HP dc7800p boot up from usb failure

Post by ayu »

Is it important that it boots with Windows?
Also is the USB-stick for installing Windows or have you made the USB-stick the boot device for an already installed version of Windows on the stick or the laptop HDD?

Depending on what you want to achieve in the end, there are a number of options.
Personally, if all I wanted was to get into the machine and access the data, then I would boot from a Linux USB-stick instead (Works a lot better than Windows, and you have loads of more options).
Another thing to consider is if the machine really supports the x64 architecture or not.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote:Is it important that it boots with Windows?
Also is the USB-stick for installing Windows or have you made the USB-stick the boot device for an already installed version of Windows on the stick or the laptop HDD?

Depending on what you want to achieve in the end, there are a number of options.
Personally, if all I wanted was to get into the machine and access the data, then I would boot from a Linux USB-stick instead (Works a lot better than Windows, and you have loads of more options).
Another thing to consider is if the machine really supports the x64 architecture or not.
i just want to install Windows 7 on Hp DC7800P which is a small form faktor pc.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... 41/drivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i have post some pictures of the system information
so the CPU is a dual core 2.33GHz which makes it an compatible x64 OS cpu.
Specs on the CPU:
https://ark.intel.com/products/30783/In ... 33-MHz-FSB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it was bought with windows vista business OEM, and it is eligible for Windows 7.

i don't even think i will be able to boot any kind of OS from a usb device (in this cas it's an Kingston Datatraveler 100 G3 16gb usb stick) on this computer.
because the thing is that it boots the USB and then it freezes during the load up of the windows setup part so it doesn't even get into the options menu where you chose your language and keyboard settings. ...
i have always used RUFUS to create the MBR for BIOS on the usb stick and used a iso image of windows 7 made by "Generation 2"
and never ever hav i experienced this before and i have never had any kind of problems with any "Generation 2" setup iso's.

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

So Cats, what do think ?..
i

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

Just a Update on the computer.
i just made a Setup boot (MBR scheme for BIOS) (Ubuntu ISO) USB Disk with RUFUS (the same thing i tried before, just with a Windows 7 Iso instead).
And i tried to boot up the pc with the Ubuntu drive in the USB ports, and guess what, i was able to install Ubuntu onto the PC.

So i've just installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 on the PC :D

so now i wonder why wouldn't it accept the Windows Boot disk?

- Prince -

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

boot into linux and post the output of to see what disks are actually present:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
also the boot records for all disks (it actually simply dumps the first 512 byte, and that's where the boot sectors are located):

dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 | xxd
###if you have multiple disks repeat accordingly

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

also, don't use RUFUS...it's awful. had nothing but trouble with it.
my tool of choice is unetbootin:
https://unetbootin.github.io/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

bad_brain wrote:boot into linux and post the output of to see what disks are actually present:

cat /etc/fstab
also the boot records for all disks (it actually simply dumps the first 512 byte, and that's where the boot sectors are located):

dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 | xxd
###if you have multiple disks repeat accordingly
wow... i don't think i need to do this, as i said i have just been able to install Linux Ubuntu on to it.
i just don't know why it didn't wanted to boot into Windows. :-k

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

bad_brain wrote:also, don't use RUFUS...it's awful. had nothing but trouble with it.
my tool of choice is unetbootin:
https://unetbootin.github.io/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:
Thx dude, i'll try it out :D

- Prince -

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what boot loader are you using? Grub or Lilo? if it's Grub install Lilo instead, had a lot of trouble with Grub already, especially on multi-OS installations.

also, first install Windows, then Linux...if using Lilo it picks up both OS out of the box....at least it always did for me.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:what boot loader are you using? Grub or Lilo? if it's Grub install Lilo instead, had a lot of trouble with Grub already, especially on multi-OS installations.

also, first install Windows, then Linux...if using Lilo it picks up both OS out of the box....at least it always did for me.
Right, so do what b_b said.
And sorry I vanished for a while there, been pretty busy (new work, so had to travel to Stockholm for introductions and stuff).

My regular method of installing Windows 7/10 (if all else fails):

ISO (Needs key): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USB Creator: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=56485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But start with b_b's solution and see if that works.
The reason your first attempt with Windows failed could be many, but most likely due to either wrong architecture (x64/x86) or that the data on the USB was faulty (If b_b says the USB creator was crap, then I believe him :lol:)

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote: Right, so do what b_b said.
And sorry I vanished for a while there, been pretty busy (new work, so had to travel to Stockholm for introductions and stuff).
COOL, couldn't you've stopped by DK to say hi to me ?... OH and btw i hope you didn't catch the "syndrome" :lol: :wink: ( get it ? )
cats wrote: My regular method of installing Windows 7/10 (if all else fails):

ISO (Needs key): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USB Creator: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=56485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But start with b_b's solution and see if that works.
The reason your first attempt with Windows failed could be many, but most likely due to either wrong architecture (x64/x86) or that the data on the USB was faulty (If b_b says the USB creator was crap, then I believe him :lol:)
everything so far BUT the install of Ubuntu has failed (i don't have any use, none what so ever, for that system), so i'll go and try the windows USB creator from MS.

Btw the cpu is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 / 2.33 GHz with a vPRO Intel Q35 Express chipset. the pc's got 6 gigs of DDR2 ram and a Samsung 160 Gigs 7200 RPM Harddrive.

So it should be x64 compatible right ?? :-k [-o<

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

so i tried to use the USB creator tool from MS. That didn't work.

it freezes during initialization and loading of files from that USB media.

Damn, it really frustrates me that this pc is so hard to work with. what's wrong with it?

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thesk wrote:So it should be x64 compatible right ?? :-k [-o<
Hmm. Well it seems like it: https://ark.intel.com/products/30783/In ... 33-MHz-FSB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried resetting the BIOS settings as well?
Might be some setting there messing with you.
But yeah, there are a number of things that could be wrong.
One thing you could try is to run a full diagnostics on it (there are a number of tools for that).

How close to Copenhagen do you live?

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote:
Thesk wrote:So it should be x64 compatible right ?? :-k [-o<
Hmm. Well it seems like it: https://ark.intel.com/products/30783/In ... 33-MHz-FSB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried resetting the BIOS settings as well?
Might be some setting there messing with you.
But yeah, there are a number of things that could be wrong.
One thing you could try is to run a full diagnostics on it (there are a number of tools for that).

How close to Copenhagen do you live?
finally i found a solution =D> ... i think :-k
it seems that the BIOS has a built in security feature that prevents specific kinds of bootable ISO's or Bootable media to "load and execute data in the boot sequence". it doesn't say what it allows to boot and what it does not allow, it is an option called "Data Execution Prevention" in the Security section of the BIOS....
i've now disabled that feature, and that finally allowed me to boot into the USB media created by the MS creation tool.

scheisse ... i'm never buying one of these HP business pc's ever again. #-o #-o :^o [-X

to answer where i live in DK, i live in a city called Varde which is around 15 km from Esbjerg, 52 km (45 min car drive) from Billund INT. Airport
and 300 km (3 h 10 min car drive) from CPH INT. Airport.

you can fly from CPH INT. Airport to Billund INT. Airport which is a little expensive
Copenhagen, Denmark —> Billund, Denmark
Nonstop (1–4 per day) 50 min flight price is ranging from 1200 DKK ~ 200 $ USD

lastly you can board a train from CPH to Varde, with 3-4 train shifts takes approximately 4-5 hours and the price is 400 DKK ~ 66 USD

- Prince -