network issues (windows 10)

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

network issues (windows 10)

Post by Thesk »

Hi all :D

So I've bought a new Laptop (Asus F552MD) for general stuff.
it's an ok laptop quick and multitask-able machine.

my issue is that i can't see any of my shared devices on the network when you try to go into the Network folder where you're supposed to see all the devices on the network. well i can't do that on this laptop.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i've turned on fnetwork discovery and turned on file and printer sharing.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and i'm on a private wifi network.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what is wrong and how can i fix this ?

cheers ! :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: network issues (windows 10)

Post by ayu »

Start by making sure that you are really on the same network by doing
ipconfig /all
and then check so that the machines are on the same subnet etc.
Then I would try to connect to the other machines via other means, and ping them as well.
Just so that we can narrow down what the problem might be.
Also try to reach the laptop from the other devices if possible, so we can see if the problem goes both ways.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I would also turn off the firewall while troubleshooting to remove it as a possible cause.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote: and then check so that the machines are on the same subnet etc.
Well good, very good indeed of a suggestion, gosh why didn't i think of that ? =D> #-o #-o :^o

That did it..
f***ing ISP made the WIFI router 255.255.128.0 on the subnet. and all the other pc's are on a Switch that is standard config of 255.255.255.0

The ISP router doesn't have a built-in switch, so i can't even connect the other pc's to that router, and 192.168.somethin'.somethin' doesn't work on it. so i cannot config it my self...

so i need to buy a new WIFI router. :( ... bummer ](*,)

thx for the help.

ps. i posted the same on Tom's Hardware Forum and it was useless. SUCK-O RULES!! :twisted:

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

lilrofl wrote:I would also turn off the firewall while troubleshooting to remove it as a possible cause.
Good suggestion BUT
I never use internal Firewall on my personal Network :D ...

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

UPDATE! :

I just found out that my Smartphone actually can access my PC's on the network .
and my Smartphone is connected to the WIFI router ( from the ISP).
i can remote control my Pc with shared folders (Server-pc) with Windows RD Client APP for Andriod.
so my next question, is the Android connecting on a different Subnet address or is it configured with other protocols ?
How do i find that out? ...

i Can however use the address line command in File Explorer to \\Server-pc and it connects immediately without a problem.
so why can't i get an over view of all of the pc's on the network, in the Network folder?

ps.
this is only an issue on this Laptop (Asus F552MD, runnin' Win 10 Pro build 1803).

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thesk wrote:UPDATE! :

I just found out that my Smartphone actually can access my PC's on the network .
and my Smartphone is connected to the WIFI router ( from the ISP).
i can remote control my Pc with shared folders (Server-pc) with Windows RD Client APP for Andriod.
so my next question, is the Android connecting on a different Subnet address or is it configured with other protocols ?
How do i find that out? ...

i Can however use the address line command in File Explorer to \\Server-pc and it connects immediately without a problem.
so why can't i get an over view of all of the pc's on the network, in the Network folder?

ps.
this is only an issue on this Laptop (Asus F552MD, runnin' Win 10 Pro build 1803).
So I thought about checking your Workgroups, but then found this handy little guide.
Check it out and see if it helps! :)

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/can ... rk-places/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote: So I thought about checking your Workgroups, but then found this handy little guide.
Check it out and see if it helps! :)

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/can ... rk-places/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thx dude! ... did it already and it sort of helped, but only half of the pc's is now showing in the window... :roll:

hmmm :-k :-k

- Prince -

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Thesk wrote:
lilrofl wrote:I would also turn off the firewall while troubleshooting to remove it as a possible cause.
Good suggestion BUT
I never use internal Firewall on my personal Network :D ...
I didn't expect that you would, only that Windows 10 has this annoying habit of turning its firewall on during some security updates :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

lilrofl wrote: I didn't expect that you would, only that Windows 10 has this annoying habit of turning its firewall on during some security updates :D
Right, right you are :D uhm ... but you know that little GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) application help a lot with that..
hehe. :twisted: :lol:
that way you can control every little annoying little thing that is built-into win 10. like cortana, windows store, and all that user experience crap, you can turn that off with this little handy tool :D ... comes with win 10 Pro. :D =D>

- Prince -

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

i just find it very weird that my smartphone function better on the network, with both VLC and Windows RD Client. i can access all my pc's and see an over view of the pc connected to the network. i can't se that on my Asus Lappy and my Gamer pc. The Server-pc is just not there in the over view i can however access it with this command in the folder address bar " \\server-pc " ... pretty annoying actually. hmm :-k

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well, if every other device can see every other device, except your laptop, then I guess the problem lies there.
One thing you could do is to use Wireshark to see the traffic when you open up the network window on the laptop.
Don't remember how the protocol works, but I assume it will ask "who's on this network?" or such, so you could look for those packets.

Either that or you can try some other more abstract solutions, like looking for a third party tool that does the same thing, and see if that one works (to divide and conquer the problem, sort of) :)