UHM... Super "Duper" Fetch... or Not?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

UHM... Super "Duper" Fetch... or Not?

Post by Thesk »

HI all.

So this little Asus lappy is a bad lappy. very unstable and unreliable.
I was on a course this week, and i had to record everything, so i brought my home away from home recording suite, complete with mic, Sound card, DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) cables etc. and a complete video recording kit Cam, PSU, mic, etc.

so when i booted the Lappy up it was very slow like 5 min., i thought what is going on, it usually boots up up in like 20 sec or so. when it was done, i read in the logs and saw what was taking up hard drive usage, and there it was SUPERFETCH... or man it was sucking a wooping 100% usage, i couldn't start up anything until a switched it of. now i've been reading and a lot of people is actually loving this application, but i have had yet to see the good of it.

what do you guys think of Superfetch ?

Cheers :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: UHM... Super "Duper" Fetch... or Not?

Post by bad_brain »

um, are you using a SSD drive? if yes prefetching of any kind is not only NOT speeding up things, it can even cause the exact opposite!

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

bad_brain wrote:um, are you using a SSD drive? if yes prefetching of any kind is not only NOT speeding up things, it can even cause the exact opposite!
unfortunately no i'm not. i'm using a WD Black 7200 rpm harddrive.
should i permanently turn the service "superfetch" off? ( services.msc )
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I have never used Win10, so I can't say if it's any useful or not.....but from what I have read is is SUPPOSED to speed up things, but on the other hand often enough causes problems. so yeah, best turn it off completely, I would rather wait for Photoshop to load 3 seconds longer than the whole system becoming unstable... :lol: