why do people not know the basics of PC and smartphones?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

why do people not know the basics of PC and smartphones?

Post by Thesk »

hi :D

So iv'e been so lucky that i've been hired as an IT chief in a firm that was without one for a long time.
their IT infrastructure had fallen apart since they last had one (2 yrs ago). mainly because they had some other non-it skilled man to maintain it (dunno why).

what he had done was that he had taken apart the network of all that was essential like routers, Switches, Unify access point and sold it, then he had set-up a basic 3G connection (bad connection, because of the dead spot that the firm is placed in) instead of it.
Now i've been hired to clean-up his mess and install a new IT-infrastructure (lucky me =D> ) and at the same time i'm the head of the technical department in which holds the responsibility of sound engineering when there are live shows and music, and live video transmission.
all this is great and really nice, because this means that i now can consider my self an autodidact technician, with expertise in IT networking and infrastructure, Audio and video engineering. i just don't have any educational degree or other means of written proof of that.

so now i see for real that normal people that i now have to work with really don't know anything about IT, computers or android devices. i now have to make guides on " how to connect to the WIFI " " How to login to the WIFI on you android phone/tablet" ... sigh :| i getting frustrated now with this one big question:
Why do people not know the basics of their devices?

most of all the people that come to me with "how do i.... or can you help me with..." questions they have all a computer at home, they have all had a smartphone for many years. having said that, then Why is it so hard for people to not know the basics of a wifi connecting procedure? ... i mean it isn't that hard to do....

the next thing is that i'm setting up a Dropbox account for this firm, for file sharing purposes for the bands and teachers that come to the events that we are making. just for powerpoint and presenter formats for me to put on the big projector screen.
and it's amazing to find out that all most all that visit us of the bands and teachers doesn't know how to connect to dropbox.
shit man, it is the easiest thing on the web to use besides of FB, flickr, instagram, spotify etc. How can it be that it is so hard for people to know how to use it?...

sometimes i really can be baffled, that so many people that lives in a technical advanced FB, flickr, twitter, instagram, spotify society doesn't know how to use the basics of their android/apple smartphone to connect to WIFI, or to use dropbox, but hey they know FB.

my point, with this thread, is not to rant, but to put down some thoughts, and maybe if i'm lucky some of you might be able to share some of your sights on this subject, cause i... 8-[ i am shocked and i don't know how to deal with this. maybe i'm a bit to black and white due my BPD and light Asperger syndrome to actually know how to understand this ..i dunno.
Thx for any reply you give. :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Re: why do people not know the basics of PC and smartphones?

Post by Gogeta70 »

Having been the "IT guy" at a company for 5 years I completely understand what you're getting at. It is baffling, but it's also human nature. People aren't interested in learning how to use their devices for any more than what they already do on them.

It's like how most people drive cars, but a lot of them don't know how to change a tire or troubleshoot basic problems. You turn the key and all you hear is a clicking sound? You need a new battery or you have a loose battery cable. (that clicking sound is your starter solenoid).

Why don't a lot of people know that? Because they're not interested in HOW the car works, they just want to drive the damn thing.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Re: why do people not know the basics of PC and smartphones?

Post by computathug »

Gogeta70 wrote: Why don't a lot of people know that? Because they're not interested in HOW the car works, they just want to drive the damn thing.
In a nutshell. *thumb*
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com