PC or Laptop Specifications

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Dr-Chambers
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

PC or Laptop Specifications

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Where can i give PC or laptop specifications which allows me to develop games, do music production compatibility and gaming apps? Where is the best places for this to be built?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: PC or Laptop Specifications

Post by ayu »

Don't know of any online place where you can build a PC (Unless you want like a custom Dell, in which case their website would do the trick).
I usually either read up on which laptops are good right now, and then go down to my local tech store to get it / order it.
Or, I pick parts, usually not the best stuff, but never the worst either, and then simply order everything separately.

Another good idea would be to check the requirements on either some medium level game, quality wise, or something like Unity3D, to see what they recommend.
I would never go for the "minimum requirement", so either you max it or go somewhere in between.

I currently run Unity for game dev on an old i5 and a Geforce GTX 1080 (The card is new, but all the other parts are pretty old since my "new" computer broke, so using some older parts together with the new card). I think it runs very smoothly with this setup, even if I feel that I might need a new CPU soon.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

pretty much every decent pre-build PC with a mid-class AMD Ryzen or Intel i7 CPU you can find in electronic stores should be able to do what you need. just keep an eye one two things: it should have a SSD drive and a good power supply with let's say at least 800 watts (maybe best go for 1000).....mechanical HDDs are a total bottleneck in modern systems, and a good power supply keeps you away from having to buy a whole new one when installing a better g-card for example.

if you really want to go fully custom visit the local computer hardware stores, they almost all should do that. the small ones are usually better than the big chains... ;)

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

In the past, I've used newegg to build and order parts from. The way the site is set up makes it easy to compare specs/compatibility and to adjust as your cost goes up and down. I've built a decent PC for $550(amd fx8350) with upgrading in mind but haven't had to yet.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

My friend and I built new ones together a while back, and put in GTX 1080 cards, which I was really proud over!
Then when I told him that his rig would easily handle a VR headset with the 1080 card, he said "eh, I've moved over to 2080TI now instead".
Not sure if you guys have seen the performance tests and comparisons between those two cards ... but holy moly.

So if you have the dough ; D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Dr-Chambers

Post by Dr-Chambers »

Thank you Cats

Thank you Necrix

Thank you Bad_Brain

*thumb*

bad_brain