Tracing

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Goose
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Tracing

Post by Goose »

I've had a falling out with a so called friend, being somewhat taller, stronger and volatile than him I know that he wont try anything physical. However he does have some computing knowledge, I have never let him in my house, I have blocked his E-mail, but i am concerned that he will specifically target me with a port scanner or something so as to track my IP address and wreak havoc. I wouldnt put it past him the little rat bastard. Any ideas/suggestions?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Buy a router and a use a firewall. Don’t email him due to your IP address in the full header. Then purchase a pit-bull and never feed him. Other than this he cant do shit.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

hmm well i guess any good firewall, with the combination of antivirus would be enough. I dont think you need to buy router or something. Just make sure do not accept files from anyone online and do not give anyone your password whatsoever.. even if you know person well and need to give it, give it on phone or face to face.(but not on webcam)

Regarding emails.. beware of fake login screens(phishing) and dont visit just any site or link. Email spoofing is another chance so no need to be suprised if you get email from bill_gates@microsoft.com, and it may appear to be real, (headers can be manipulated), i guess he wont do anything beyond these small attacks, or at the most he may try to nuke your firewall or send you a virus..

Yes and apply latest patches and updates, i guess that will do but still if you wanna go beyond that, ask, we'll tell ya

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

as long as you're not offering services to the outside (running a server to make it more understandable) portscanning is pointless anyway...he will not be able to retrieve any info about your box, and if you use a firewall he will not even be able to see if you're online or not (even if he would have your IP).

:wink: