University Internet

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Yoda
forum buddy
forum buddy

University Internet

Post by Yoda »

I am currently at a univeristy within the UK, and i am able to connect through a wireless internet connection. The problem with this is that all games have been blocked over this internet connection. I am not sure how this is done but i am wishing to know if anyone has any ideas on how to get around this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

toast
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by toast »

Have you tried proxies?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, a proxy will work for blocked websites, but not for gaming.
the connections are blocked by the firewall and there is pretty nothing you can do about it because most likely (if the admin is not a total n00b) the incoming connections from the game servers are blocked (by source port) and not only your outgoing traffic to these servers.
in a simple way: even if you can send requests to the game servers you are not able to receive their replies.
even tunneling would make no sense because it would only affect your outgoing connections again.... :?

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

thats weird...i'm at uni and I've looked up tons of "dubious" stuff, never been told off or banned or anything. Lucky me!?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

baron_samedi wrote:thats weird...i'm at uni and I've looked up tons of "dubious" stuff, never been told off or banned or anything. Lucky me!?
yeup! :lol: it depends on the network admin what is allowed and what is forbidden....
example: by this simple firewall settings an admin can block all WoW gamers in the network:

Code: Select all

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --source-port 3724 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --source-port 6112 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --source-port 6891:6999 -j DROP
all traffic coming from the default ports of WoW servers would be rejected now....

Yoda
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Yoda »

Oh well looks like there'll beno more EVE then.