Antivirus

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Antivirus

Post by alien100 »

which antivirus do you think is the best?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

First, most won’t agree with me, but here goes. I don’t run any because it slows down my PC for starters.

Second this is usually the first place an attack will accrue leaving you wondering why you spent 50 dollars or more per year.

Third if you can fix your OS and keep your sensitive data on another partition or hard disk you won’t need antivirus software you can just fix the problem and or at lest reformat.

Fourth I have never ran anti-virus software and never been infected unless I wished so. I use to test viruses and grade them on damage and un-delectability so I casually downloaded them for this purpose. Also if your smart and use common since you will be fine.

So go out and learn how the computer works and you wont be so scared or at lest 50 dollars richer per year. Your community will remain paranoid but you will be calm and able to address a problem before real damage happens.

Like i said not will argue this post i have submitted.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I agree

Post by maboroshi »

I agree with you floodhound common sense is key. I wouldn't use antivirus but not all my friends are into computers so that one small chance they get an email worm I would be a little annoyed. Although I keep my information on partitions. I use AVG it doesn't slow my system down and its free

But I also agree that fear companies and news media propogate about viruses is blown way out of per portion

Hence knowledge is key here

Cheers

Maboroshi

levander
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by levander »

I use AVG on XP too. Go to free.grisoft.com. But, more important is to keep your computer updated. Most viruses manage to hit computers based on vulnerabilities that have already been fixed, just the user didn't keep his computer updated. Make sure to turn on automatic updates.

AVG has some free anti-spyware thing on that site in addition to the free anti-virus thing. I've been meaning to check out the anti-spyware thing, and look up a few reviews to see what percentage of the spyware it does catch. Hopefully it has a scheduler so that I can automate scans. Ad-aware doesn't have any built in functionality to schedule automatic scans, and I've never bothered to figure out how to set up some kind of cron system under XP to get it done.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

I never use antivirus and never got infected, still the best AV i think is mks_vir just take my word for it.. no more questions..

chaz23

Post by chaz23 »

I got an advert that said from the 15th of jan AVG is no longer free?, what will you be using then? any good free suggestions plz?

p99

Post by p99 »

I'll run a spy-ware scan every now and then with ad-aware but I generally don't run av. With my system it take 2+ hours with avg. Norton I've never finished without sleeping first :wink:

If you've ever looked at the coding for some malware a lot of it simply targets "C:". You'd be surprised right there how much you can avoid by changing your ahrdrive name to Z or K. :)

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by RNA »

I use avg if I scan anything but normally I just use common sense.

alien100

Post by alien100 »

ok this is my security

Avg 7.5 Professional
Antivir (uses a small amount of memory its great)
Ad-aware se professional
XoftSpy Se
Zonealarm Pro
Trend micro antispyware

My laptop is still as fast as i got it :D

getdollar

Post by getdollar »

Bitdefender is the best antivirus software
big colection of templates get it for FREE
http://www.hellogamming.com

hij-h-acker
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by hij-h-acker »

I had a copy of Norton2003....but it just slows down the system.So i had to switch over to "Kaspersky Antivirus"...which's pretty good...hve no problems uptill now.....But i wud personally suggest u all to keep a copy of Quick Heal AV wid u.
Anyways one of my friends have his own home-made AV...but it just detects 2 viruses.... :)

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

hij-h-acker wrote:but it just detects 2 viruses.... :)
lol... well thats useful...

And somehow i agree with floodhound;
I have no AV cuz my shitty satellite connection can't take it while im surfing or w/e and never got infected in 1 and a half year...
the fact that the internet is fulfilled of viruses, trojans, spywares, worms and all the rest got a bit too mediatised imo.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I use NOD 32. It alerts you to trojans, rootkits and other malicious software that you do not want on your comptuer.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

ilnux
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by ilnux »

floodhound2 wrote:
Second this is usually the first place an attack will accrue leaving you wondering why you spent 50 dollars or more per year.
What do you mean? This is what black hats use to target your system?

And you guys might want to read this. This test is why I dropped nod32's billing for antivir.http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/e ... 007_02.php

ProjectX

Post by ProjectX »

BitDefender should be good ..
Scanning time 80GB harddrive = 20minutes
Low price etc..