Help setting up a network

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Help setting up a network

Post by visser »

we recently built a computer and have it in my room upstairs. i have a computer downstairs that has a westell 6100 modem, using ethernet connection for internet. We need to find a way so that the downstairs computer can have internet access and so can the new one up stairs at the same time. Any suggestions for the easiest, fastest, best possibly way for accomplishing this, will be greatly appriciated.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I recommend a modem/router combination....actually a router would already do the job, but modem/router combinations are not much more expensive than standalone routers...you also need less cables and the configuration is more comfy.

here's the one I use for example, I can recommend it:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routers ... G834G.aspx

but well, like I said a simple router would already be enough, if you want to youcould connect the box downstairs with cable and the one upstairs wireless....but make sure the wireless card of the computer supports WPA2 encryption, else it's too insecure and you should use a normal cable connection too then... :wink:

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

right or you can get a hardline router (cables, no wireless) and simply plug your internet connection into the router, then plug both computers into the router (you can buy like 50ft of ethernet cable at your local walmart for the one upstairs, for like i think $25 bucks)

visser

Post by visser »

alright so. we got a hold of a linksys router. and the dudes at linksys wont help us set it up because its out of warranty (got the router from a friend) we just need to figure out how to properly set it up. when we run the modem to the computer it works fine. however as soon as you incorporate the router it doesnt work. (were using dsl) so how do i get it to work. i can get into the router no problem. i just need the router to work with my computer so i can get two computers to work!!!!
thanks for any prior help. but im a noob in need. need major help!!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

do you have DHCP enabled on the router? if no do so, every computer connected gets its own IP from the router on startup then and you should be able to connect to the internet... :wink:

visser

Post by visser »

when we try to connect it it says that it has limited or no connectivity??? whats with this??

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

1st of all take 1 step at a time and troubleshoot each step, not plug all in and hope all works.

most adsl routers that i have set up in this country do not use the modem, you simply remove the modem and plug into the adsl router then access admin settings and run the wizard then go through the settings as needed.

you may also have to google the router type you have got and install the latest firmware.

Finally in this country (uk) when using adsl internet the connection from the phone socket also runs through a filter

hope this helps