is this feasable

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

is this feasable

Post by computathug »

I have been thinking for a while now on how i can put something back into my community and benefit the few who are unfortunate. As time has past people have changed and computers have evolved. Gone have the days when people said "what do i need a computer for". Even my mother has one now and says she would be lost without it.
So i have an idea.... :idea:
Now what i am proposing to do i think has been accomplished but i am not sure residentially. I am from a working class town which has been tainted with riots and other disturbances over the last 15 years and me for one has grown up with this but over the last couple of years have seen things change with re-developments etc.
The area i live in has around 800 houses to the estate. Now before i start to put a plan together to see if i can get government backing, which i will if its possible, is to find out if its possible to connect the whole area with routers and use WDS off each other and create a wireless hotspot for local residents.
Now i know i will have a lot of cold calling to do to see if every one will come together in this project but the amount of people who wold benefit would be outstanding, with everyone from children (access to the web for schooling outside school hours) to the elderly (who can email family, keep in touch with friends, maybe stop a lot of loneliness).
People could help without any extra cost to them as the routers would be provided and as a thank you a free pc health check on a yearly basis but network problems would have to have to be dealt with a dedicated team around the clock.
I would propose i would spend x amount on buying up old computers at very cheap prices and installing them at every house hold that hasn't got this luxury. Hell i will even install them all with linux so there's no licensing laws and to keep the costs down and custom ready for each individual household, just the wireless network card to consider.
To make this work as a business there would have to be other provisions to cover other losses like hardware failures where people can't afford the costs like say tuition or something.
Well as i said i would need government backing to make it work in the long run and if its possible i would take 12 months off work and input the cash if i knew this was all worth the while.

any suggestions / feed back welcome even if it is

THIS WILL NEVER WORK

because if it wont then good i am not waisting any more time, or is there a way around it?

I look forward to your replies :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, this CAN work! it'll be a lot of work...but it's an honorable mission, so look for people that support you, like local shop owners and local newspapers for example. to make it official you best found a non-profit organization, will make it easier to find supporters too.
and once you are an official organization you can also receive tax benefits which enables you to buy new hardware. maybe visit a local non-profit organization and ask them for tips, I'm sure they will help you when they hear what you want to do.... :)

and if you need help with the technical issues let me know... :wink: