lag problen wierd erm :(

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
mo2332
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

lag problen wierd erm :(

Post by mo2332 »

ok my internet for websites is fine and fast so are my downloads but when i gotto play games i lag y?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well when you think about it games DOES take more bandwidth then browsers.

Do you have anything in the background? downloading? updating something maybe?

Check your process list for "weird" activities.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Make sure you have a decent graphics card, what memory does it have?
The more memory you have on the videocard, the less load on the computer's processor.

You also have to consider the game server itself - it could be lagging because it is handling many other users at the same time. You could try the game server at different times of the day to see if there is a difference. You can just simply do a trace route or ping (if it allows pings) and compare the time it takes. Try another game server to see if you have the same problems. If its not your data feed, its the handling of the data - there is a reason why gamers have faster processors and tons of memory.

Webpages can load fast because your browser can save copies of it on your hd. DL can also be fast because of technology to make DL faster, is not the same as the data stream coming from a game server.

Neo is correct, you can also free up more RAM by shutting down AVPs, or any other running program you don't need.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

visser

Post by visser »

not only that, but whats the ping of the server you are connecting to. When i play battlefield 2 if i go to a server with a pong of like 60 i get no lag.
however when i go to a server with a ping of 400 i get lag like no other!! and i know that its not me cause i speed tested my cable connection. im somewhere around 10 mb/s

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Right on

Post by DNR »

Exactly. :wink:
For the neophytes, Pong is the return from your Ping. Sort of an old network geek joke. Since there are several game servers for the same game - you might ping the list of them to match/find the fastest responding server - but also, that can still be variable at different times of the day etc.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

mo2332

Post by mo2332 »

i got a gaming top so mabye the prosces nothing odd and im laging but a friend plays on the network and is fine

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

play ping pong

Post by DNR »

have your friend ping from his box to the same game server, and then compare to your pong results.
if they are the same time, then you know its your 286 box.

DNR
-