Cleaning your keyboard

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Cleaning your keyboard

Post by svyatko »

how do you guys clean your keyboard?
Is it possible to take the keys out of the keyboard?

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Yeah, I have done that. What I did was take a picture of my keyboard so I could use that picture as a reference when I had to put all the keys back. After I took it apart I took out the electronic parts and washed the rest. Than I put it all back together!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

If you want to be lazy about it, get some air duster. Unfortunately for me, some odd sticky substance gets on my keyboard for a mystical and unknown reason. Taking out the electronics and popping out the keys from the keyboard will definitely do the trick. :roll:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, a buddy threw his keyboard into the dishwasher....it still worked afterwards and was DAMN clean....of course you have to wait until it is REALLY dry again afterwards....
I am not responsible for damages if somebody kills his hardware that way, ok? :lol:

personally I use good old plastic cleaner that is used for car interior.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Make sure the keyboard is unplugged before you plunged it into water too. Just would like to point that out, I have known people who would have no realised the obvious, such as that. So I figured I would point it out..not that anyone here is that silly though.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

bad_brain wrote:well, a buddy threw his keyboard into the dishwasher....it still worked afterwards and was DAMN clean....of course you have to wait until it is REALLY dry again afterwards....
I am not responsible for damages if somebody kills his hardware that way, ok? :lol:

personally I use good old plastic cleaner that is used for car interior.
I dont recommend to put the entire keyboard in the dishwasher because this can damage the elecktronics in the board ( because of chemical reactions your keyboard circuits can corode ). what I would recommend is to remove all the keys and these CAN be put in the dishwasher, while the keys are removed you can clean the keyboard itself with Air or a wet tissue. after the dishwasher is done re do the keys and ur set :).
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

smoke your KB

Post by DNR »

remember, KB's are cheap, you can always just go and buy a new one if the old one is full of garbage.

I cleaned out my keyboard once by shaking it, using a toothpick, and air. I got about .8 of a gram of weed out of it.

DNR
ps - nix the idea of putting the KB in the dishwasher. Too many kinds of KB to consider advantage/disadvantages. A sealed 'bubble-type' button might be water proof, but 140 degree hot water will loosen the glues. For mechanical buttons and circuit boards, no explanation should be needed right?
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Contrary to what others do - Yes, i toss mine into the dishwasher and let air dry for several hours. I never had one go bad.

DNR is also right they are hell-a cheap. Forget taking out the keys, to me it becomes a "put back together nightmare for my inpatient ass."

Air is great also. Often the air in a can cost more than a new keyboard though.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

if he says its ok...

Post by DNR »

Well if Floodhound tried it, I guess I will too one day :lol:

Only because I can just buy another one cheap, after I get impatient too waiting for all my keys to dry out and stop shorting out.

What else can you dishwash? the mouse?
Any other cleaning tips, vacuming the box or the monitor? Using Q-tips on the fan blades for that built up gunk?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

It is plausible to wash any electronic digital device as long as ample time is allowed for drying and the power is off before the drowning. Most all digital devise will recover from a washing from my experience. I am not stating that this is a law governing the digital realm; it is just from my experience.

Perhaps I will gather my older digital devices and attempt a video of things getting soaked.

* Devises with a display will most likely suffer damage from washing. :twisted:

* Again I keep stating that I will do things and never get to them 8O
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Oppconsulting
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Oppconsulting »

if you quit juiceing all over the keys then the keyboards wont need cleaning all the time 8O 8O

I just use my air compresser a hundred or more pounds of air tends to clean it up really nice then clorox wipes or the lysol wipes tearing the keys out is a waste of time and will break most newer keyboards but they are only nine dollers at a store so its often cheeper to just throw it out and the secound hand stores have them for 3 or 5 bucks

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I think Ill pass with my MX 5000 Id fuck it up badly.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]