Lesson: Learned

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Lesson: Learned

Post by Gogeta70 »

Heya everyone.

As of right now, all but about 2% of my personal info on my computer is gone. My setup is like this:

HD1
Partition 1 (C:\ - windows partition)
Partition 2 (E:\ - htdocs for my apache server)

HD2
Partition 1 (X:\ - My documents 112gb size)
Partition 2 (My old linux /usr partition. 117 gb in size)

Earlier today, about 2:00 AM i was trying to move all the data i want to save from my linux partition to my windows partitions. To create enough disk space to transfer it, i tried to free up 20 gigs of drive X:\. I booted up a partition manager program, and resized it to 96gb. Abotu 75% of the way through, the program sticks and just stays there. I figure, "well, it should take a while to resize a partition that large.. i'll go to sleep." This was at 7:00 AM this morning. Woke up at noon, look at it, and it's still at 75%. The program was frozen. So i hit the power button. I reboot into windows, since that partition is still intact, and looks like the X:\ partition is gone. "unrecognized partition. Format?" is what windows says :evil: . I'm currently running a partition recovery program, to see what i can't do to fix this mess i got myself into...

Lesson learned?

BACK UP YOUR SHIT!!

Thank you for tuning in.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

lol that sucks :?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

Something like this happened to me not too long ago. The wire to the hard drive wasn't properly connected, so it would boot Linux and dump core at the population of /dev/.

After a few failed boots I decided to run fsck. If you ever have a hard drive failing like this, DO NOT RUN FSCK. It will fuck up the contents of your hard drive beyond all recognition. I got a new hard drive and reinstalled Slackware, it was like starting life all over again :lol:

Once again, back up your shit.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I found a nice utility called testdisk here in the suck-o download section, it seems to be able to do a partition repair for my partition. Taking long ass time cause it's reading the MFT (master file table).

By the way, i found a fucking awesome utility in the downloads here as well. It allows windows to read ext2 and ext3 partitions, and you don't have to restart for it take effect. It's nice, wish i knew about this earlier, would've saved me all this trouble...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...