Modem disconnect on call

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Modem disconnect on call

Post by ayu »

Ok so this is a common problem that many of us recognize, the modem disconnect problem ^^

So, i have a friend who contacted me and told me that "sometimes" when people call, he gets disconnected. Here is what i told him to do.

1: Check that the modem is on the first "jack" in the house, commonly the closest one to the door.

2: If there is another unit connected to that same jack, make sure the modem is the "closest one to the jack".

3: Try to unplug that "other" unit and see if something happens....

He told me the following.....

1: Yes the modem is on the "first" jack, closest to the door...

2: Yes there is another unit, but the modem is "closest to the jack"

3: This never happened before, and it doesn't happen always, but when it does it disconnects on the first ring.

He also told me that he had some virus problem on his computer (gave him the correct stuff so that he could reinstall and then install an Anti Virus of good choice. Also picked out a router for him since he was totally unprotected before.

The thing is about the virus issue that i don't think that it would affect the modem in this way since it happens only when someones calls he says, but it is a possibility that something from the comp is disturbing it since there is no router between the units.

Anyway, i am out of ideas at the moment and i can't go to him to debug the issue, so until i can i want some brainstorming from you, any ideas? :wink:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

point to point protocol - LCP frames

Post by DNR »

PPP Link-Control Protocol
The PPP LCP provides a method of establishing, configuring, maintaining, and terminating the point-to-point connection. LCP goes through four distinct phases.

First, link establishment and configuration negotiation occur. Before any network layer datagrams (for example, IP) can be exchanged, LCP first must open the connection and negotiate configuration parameters. This phase is complete when a configuration-acknowledgment frame has been both sent and received.

This is followed by link quality determination. LCP allows an optional link quality determination phase following the link-establishment and configuration-negotiation phase. In this phase, the link is tested to determine whether the link quality is sufficient to bring up network layer protocols. This phase is optional. LCP can delay transmission of network layer protocol information until this phase is complete.

At this point, network layer protocol configuration negotiation occurs. After LCP has finished the link quality determination phase, network layer protocols can be configured separately by the appropriate NCP and can be brought up and taken down at any time. If LCP closes the link, it informs the network layer protocols so that they can take appropriate action.

Finally, link termination occurs. LCP can terminate the link at any time. This usually is done at the request of a user but can happen because of a physical event, such as the loss of carrier or the expiration of an idle-period timer.

Three classes of LCP frames exist. Link-establishment frames are used to establish and configure a link. Link-termination frames are used to terminate a link, and link-maintenance frames are used to manage and debug a link.

These frames are used to accomplish the work of each of the LCP phases.

--there might be software to modify the LCP frame behavior,

or

go wake up floodie and ask for a HARDWARE solution to this problem, maybe diodes, switches, etc could isolate the phone 'line' from the 'modem' line' (which is still the same line, might have to run a line closer to the telco box and install a switching device there, i donno)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.