Cable TV with the PC

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Cable TV with the PC

Post by floodhound2 »

Ok, forgive me for asking this, but I need some of your opinions. I read an add on ebay and it claimed that with out hardware you can watch TV on your computer. I am sure this is possible with hardware but with just software i am not so sure.

I am thinking that since you have to use a modem it will not pass the cable signal responsible for television. However, I ask do you think it can be done? I am tired from the bus ride this morning so I need help clearing my thoughts.

If it can be done I want to start programming something...

I am sure it cant be done....
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Cable TV with the PC

Post by G-Brain »

I think you're right. Someone could however set up a server that broadcasts the signal gotten from the hardware and then you could have a pure software solution that receives that signal.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, in the area where I live we have providers where you can get TV and internet connection both through the regular TV cable, but you need a decoder box to split up the signals again. so the transmission is technically no problem, but I doubt the decoding can be done only via software....the next question would be how to input the signal to the computer without a converter.
if this would be really possible all TV cards would be useless from now on...so my opinion is a clear "nope" for real TV. and if a smartass is doing what g-brain said he should look for good lawyers already because the TV stations will sue his ass soon for real ugly copyright violations.... :lol:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

YEA fellas, I think you both correct, that the signal must be re-broadcasted from a PC somewhere and B_B you are right about the decoder card.

I know here in the sates the signal/s are transmitted on the same line "coax" internet and television plus phone now. Well i was a bit tired this morning and figured it was impossible to accomplish with software only.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Oppconsulting

Post by Oppconsulting »

all that you get is whats termed internet cable google it and millions come up they are ok but suck get a media card like me and load it hook it to local cable you have then put sage tv on and your off on true pc cable with DVR pause record the whol shits
“As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.”
― John Lennon
“One thing you can't hide - is when you're crippled inside.”
― John Lennon

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

There are quite a lot of TV software applications available and all these offers that are available on ebay are just instructions on how to get this. These software apps run on the same basis other P2P programs run on. Heres another post with some information

http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name= ... ght=tvants

and another, scroll down to my post!

http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name= ... sc&start=0

Although these are based more to sports in the topics the programs are not just sport based but world wide channels. Hope this helps :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

just found an onlineTV app, but it seems not all countries are supported yet:
http://zattoo.com/

the quality is pretty ok for me, but I had to allow all traffic via the firewall for it because it hops between the nearest hubs pretty often which causes nasty lags because my firewall always complains first.. :roll:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

couch potatoes

Post by computathug »

Nice find as this runs like a basic freeview box and i have tested this on xp and is running at around 1 second behind my tv which isnt bad. The buffer hasnt stopped once since i started the app and its not a bad peice of software. Will try this on linux and post the results.

Shame it hasnt picked up any more channels and now am wondering how the signal knows which channels to send and can only think this goes off the postcode or your IP which if through a proxy might get a different result. Wonder what the results would be if we swapped logins :idea:

Might be worth a try :wink:

*edited*

I have now installed on the same box on the deb partition and the performance is almost the same for me as it was on xp, does seem just a little jumpy though like im losing a packet somewhere but it does tell me i have no flash installed on start up which is untrue as it is. I have also edited the source list and all went fine. Il look later at this as im a little busy at the moment.

*2nd edit* Shame this is not available in the states for you guys. For those it is available for and those who want to see what channels are available you can get a channel list here :

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... unofficial