Freenet

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.

What do you think about Freenet

Freenet rocks!
13%
Freenet is lame
No votes
WTF is freenet?
88%
There are better networks then freenet
No votes

Total votes: 8

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Freenet

Post by Still_Learning »

Does anyone use this? I just started to try it out, seems allright so far, i tried Frost to send messages and it does not seem to work, any ideas?

any cool freenet stuff that you can point me too?

can i use freenet as a SSH w/ PuTTy or as a proxy?

anybody on there that i can add as a friend? lol i have only strangers now on my freenet

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

FREENET - http://freenetproject.org/

"The Freenet Project is very pleased to announce the release of Freenet 0.7.0.

Freenet is software designed to allow the free exchange of information over the Internet without fear of censorship, or reprisal. To achieve this Freenet makes it very difficult for adversaries to reveal the identity, either of the person publishing, or downloading content. The Freenet project started in 1999, released Freenet 0.1 in March 2000, and has been under active development ever since.

Freenet is unique in that it handles the storage of content, meaning that if necessary users can upload content to Freenet and then disconnect. We've discovered that this is a key requirement for many Freenet users. Once uploaded, content is mirrored and moved around the Freenet network, making it very difficult to trace, or to destroy. Content will remain in Freenet for as long as people are retrieving it, although Freenet makes no guarantee that content will be stored indefinitely.

The journey towards Freenet 0.7 began in 2005 with the realization that some of Freenet's most vulnerable users needed to hide the fact that they were using Freenet, not just what they were doing with it. The result of this realization was a ground-up redesign and rewrite of Freenet, adding a "darknet" capability, allowing users to limit who their Freenet software would communicate with to trusted friends. This would make it far more difficult for a third-party to determine who is using Freenet.

Freenet 0.7 also embodies significant improvements to almost every other aspect of Freenet, including efficiency, security, and usability. Freenet is available for Windows, Linux, and OSX. It can be downloaded from:

http://freenetproject.org/download.html

If you have any difficulty getting Freenet to work, or any questions not answered in the faq, please join us on IRC in the #freenet channel at irc.freenode.net. Thank you."

I read about this in Linux Pro magazine and tried it out, only thing is it fuc*ed up my firefox browser settings.

Its alot diffrent from the other guy who posted a thread like mine with HTTP proxys

Shimo

Post by Shimo »

Kinda sounds like a scam... Hows it look and feel though?
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Like a torrent network but on the net, every site has a hashed / encrypted link, completely anonymous.. only thing is it messed up my firefox settings

seems to work slow at first , then the longer your on the quicker the connection gets

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

probably get's faster from visitng various websites you generally do and gathering the cookies thus not having to retreive them again. or you just got used to the sluggy-ness :lol:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

nightkid wrote:probably get's faster from visitng various websites you generally do and gathering the cookies thus not having to retreive them again. or you just got used to the sluggy-ness :lol:
no i beleive it gets faster with how many peers you are connected too, with i think their is a maxium of 100 strangers, and i think unlimited darknet users (darknet is people that you know)

it is worth checking out