putting it all together.

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
nightkid
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

putting it all together.

Post by nightkid »

i would say i'm mediocore in computers, i know more than most but not more than the members of this forum. i've built custom computers with excellent results, i know the more than often used ports, i've dabbled in linux on the side and not a complete noob in linux, i can hold my own there. also im medicore with a mac...
basically i know all the general knowledge but i want more knowledge but it's like i become overwhelmed when i research, ip spoofing, internet layers, perl, python, sql injection,flags seems like there is just too much to learn and i know most of the time i am jumping ahead of myself and get tore up trying to understand it all but from a quick layout of my knowledge what would be a good direction to go? programming, networking, languages, anything....i would perfer to start with something a bit basic that i can build onto with the next thing, so it's like a ladder in a way, always take another step up..
thanks for your time guys.

nightkid.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I think your headed in the right direction. Your right about the fast that the more you look the more you find and it can be overwhelming.

I cant point you in any direction; just going in all directions reminds me of myself. :wink:

G-Brain

Re: putting it all together.

Post by G-Brain »

The more you know, the more you don't know.

I remember when I was "good with Windows" and figured I was good with computers. Little did I know that there was much, much more. Same thing with programming. Think you know it all? Try functional programming, etc.

I'd say start using Linux more, and start programming.

Read something like this:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Progra ... for_Python

and learn about the bash shell, for starters.

Make sure to create a thread whenever you run into problems you can't solve with Google. Make a list of things you want to learn, or want to be able to do. Post your progress, etc.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

one day I have to get organ-nit-ized

Post by DNR »

nightkid,
I feel you, and believe it or not, that overwhelming feeling of "not knowing enough" never goes away. It is a good thing, because that is your drive to keep studying, to keep learning, to keep questioning.
The day you think you know everything - you're fucked.

Back in my young days, I was a sgt. field training officer for a large, fun security company. I had a good relationship with the cheif (i drank with him) so I had some fun on writing evaluations for the officers.
One saying kind of fits this here "While the man has a full six pack of knowledge, he is missing the plastic thing to hold it all together." Its nice to see someone with six cold beers, but they look stupid trying to juggle six loose beercans around in their arms or pockets you know?

The most important thing you can do in your life is organize yourself. Being of 'hacker mentality' means you are prone to disorganization. We try to multitask everything in our lives like it was a computer, but life is not a PC or MAC. You have the inherent nature to learn, you have the ability to read, watch, and ask questions - the key is of course, to organize yourself so you don't expend too much time or energy on shit. Shit can be comic books, fuck books, drugs and alcohol, sex, and useless shit like LISP (just kidding g-brain). Shit can also be great knowledge but lacking in the ability to use it. Don't be the geek that sits off in the corner, where no one can talk to it.

As floodie said, you are not alone. When you hang out with us, you'll pick up on the tips and tricks to organizing yourself. :wink:

DNR
Last edited by DNR on 09 Sep 2008, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

G-Brain

Re: one day I have to get organ-nit-ized

Post by G-Brain »

DNR wrote:and useless shit like LISP (just kidding g-brain)
:o Good one
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you