Telnet / Synchronet BBS help needed plz

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Telnet / Synchronet BBS help needed plz

Post by Still_Learning »

ok useing Synchronet ive set up a FTP server, IRC server, HTTP server, and Telnet server. I found some old ansi's people have done for my old BBS in a couple iCE ansi packsages, so i am going to keep the same name, the only thing they are not in .ans format they are in .png

Does anyone know how to change a .png into a .ans (and it not lose too much quality?)

also..

Does anyone know how to change the menus? I renamed welcome.msg to say wel.msg and put a new .ans picture and renamed that welcome.msg, so it should have displayed the new ansi file as the new welcome.msg right? what am i doing wrong? I have the documentation but it does not go that deep into it and alot of the other BBS systems are not very helpful. I want to make even a lightbar menu at login if possible, heres an example of another telnet BBS which i think looks really cool and would like to know how they modded their synchronet board to look like that (its been over 10 years since i ran one i forgot lol) try telnetting to www.theroughnecks.net for windows 32 clients or for *nix telnet to cvs.synchro.net

I tried looking at my site threw ubuntu bash shell and all the colors looked funky, but when telnetting threw windows it looks how it is suppose to? any idea why it looks diffrent? does linux or my ubuntu not support ansi? thanks

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the colors are set in your bash profile, let's say you are the root user, then the file is: /root/.bashrc
notice the . in front of the filename, a normal ls command will not show it, you have to use ls -a because the . makes it a hidden file.

in there you will find this block:
# You may uncomment the following lines if you want `ls' to be colorized:
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval "`dircolors`"
most likely those lines are uncommented, to get rid of the colors simply comment them out, you have to re-open the shell for the settings to take effect.

:wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

bad_brain wrote:well, the colors are set in your bash profile, let's say you are the root user, then the file is: /root/.bashrc
notice the . in front of the filename, a normal ls command will not show it, you have to use ls -a because the . makes it a hidden file.

in there you will find this block:
# You may uncomment the following lines if you want `ls' to be colorized:
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval "`dircolors`"
most likely those lines are uncommented, to get rid of the colors simply comment them out, you have to re-open the shell for the settings to take effect.

well i found out that the BBS menu works off of ansi and i have to place a special character in the menu which looks like a smiley face or such which is made by pressing control-A i think.

but while we are on thi subject, how do i search a whole disk drive or dir with bash for a certain file extention?

ls whatever.* -d
or

ls- .* -s
?

I know in DOS it is dir /s *.exe or whatever

thanks

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

there are different ways, you can use the find command:
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?find

personally I prefer the locate command, it is much faster than find because it queries a database where all file info is stored instead of really searching all directories. to use locate you have to build the database by updatedb, take care to either runupdatedb manually first if files have been added/removed/moved since the last time your ran it or set up a cronjob to run it once a day for example (often done on servers).

the command to find all mp3 files on the system for example would be:

Code: Select all

locate .mp3
or

Code: Select all

#move to the root directory first
cd /
# then search the current folder and all subfolders
find . -name "*.mp3"

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

ahh yes.. Locate sounds much more effieicient then find, i will install this, thanks B-B!