DNS Lookup

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ayu
Staff
Staff

DNS Lookup

Post by ayu »

Ok so I have gotten some pretty odd people contacting me on Skype lately, knowing my name and location, which I see as a very rude gesture, seeing as they use it to harass me on Skype.

I assume that they use my domain names to lookup my info.... Now what I want to have, is a tip, of how I can either make my info private, or legally change the info that people can see to something irrelevant. Is this possible?

Quick answer is appreciated.

EDIT: ......ok..so...the second one was Swan messing around...scared the shit out of me! >_< BUT ...my question still stands....is this possible?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by str33tl0rd »

i think thats what big companies actually do, take their important info out of those kind of websites....what i read somewhere was that they actually contact those websites to take it out...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

depends on the laws in your country. in the USA or Canada for example domains can be registered "private" so no contact info shows up in the WHOIS record....in Germany (whole Europe I think) it's not possible, at least not when registering the domain at a Registrar that resides in that country.

if your registrar don't offer private domain registration you can take a look at godaddy for example, but you should ask first if it is possible for customers from your country:
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/dbp/landing.asp
if it's possible you could do a domain transfer...
:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

lol, I checked your site here:

http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?v ... kitten.com

And I see your registrar was nice enough to post eveything personal about you!

I think at first you should contact your registrar and see if they would 'update' the address to a bogus one. You can cite these prank phone calls as one reason to make it private.

Name.........: Loopia Webbhotell AB, Loopia Registry
Phone........: +46.21128222
Fax..........: +46.21128233
Email........: registry@loopia.se

Good luck.

DNR[/quote]
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanks for your answers guys, I'll contact the registrar =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

you can lie about the phone number, they don't check it....but most registrars demand money for doing such changes. before you ask about such changes better ask if they offer private domain registration....if not contact godaddy (for example) and ask them if private domain registration is available for customers from sweden too.
if all this fails you can still at least make them enter the fake phone number..... :wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I paid i think 8$ a year extra for a private domain on godaddy, meaning no one can get my personal info by doing a whois..

check for yourself www.rootpimp.com

btw: and yes ALSO use fake info, maybe an old address, or phone number that is 1 digit off.. that way later you can claim "oops i must have pressed a wrong button instead of 555-1234 it is suppose to be 555-1233"