Laptop Wifi Problem

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Laptop Wifi Problem

Post by str33tl0rd »

hello all,
i think by now y'all know that i have a dell xps m1330 laptop. It was a good laptop until the 2ns day, where a little problem with the WIFI popped up.
On the side of the lap, there is switch that turns on the BT/WIFI together.
First day: the switch was working fine and I was wirelessly browsing through the net.
Second day: it doesn't turn after 5 mins, after 1/2 hour it goes off again.
After the second day, it sometimes turns on then goes off...its a random thing.
You should also know these:
- Problem: Only the wifi doesn't turn on...but the BT does
- Wifi Company: Intel
- Wireless Card type/name: Intel(R) Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN
- Drivers: i have reinstalled the drivers twice [once it affected the wifi to turn on for like an hour, but the second time, didn't turn on]

need your help, thank you.
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

bro i know this problem

its happend on all my laptops ive had running vista

its vista,and it does it on home premium and basic

the solution:i never found one

i recomend you get xp,if ya dont have it,ill give it to you dw,its a 100% "genuine" "legal" copy

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Are you sure it's the card and not the wireless that you are connecting to? checked on another net? Also make sure to brows through your wireless settings for un-needed or odd settings.
Last edited by ayu on 03 Dec 2008, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

@rysh you don't have to write in every thread, especially if you don't know the answer.

Ok, the laptop does come with a restore disk to 'restore' everything to the way it was when the latop was given to you. That is your worst case scenario with a laptop, the restore disk has all of your drivers, including the wifi card. If you mess up so bad, this disk will bring you back. If you tinkered with settings for your wifi card and you can't fix it, use the restore disk.

Now Cat has a valid point, are you having trouble with your wifi CARD or your wifi CONNECTION? I don't see any features in the OS or wifi application that would disable your wifi CARD while you are using it, but there are many ways to lose your wifi SIGNAL (connection).
You can use a tool to verify your wifi signal, like Netstumbler. You can also find simpler programs that will at least tell you the strength of your wifi signal.
What we suspect you are talking about is you are losing your wifi SIGNAL while you are online, and this happens to wifi signals because they are radio waves and they are prone to signal interference. You can move closer to the wifi AP (access point, the network device that connects radio signals to the cabled network), you can move away from devices that can cause interference, like microwaves, TVs, or away from brick walls, you can buy a USB wifi antenna - so the antenna can be moved around on its 3 foot cable or utilize a hi-gain feature.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

If I were you I would get an USB wifi adapter. You can get one for around 20 euros at the store. :)
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

dnr i highly disagree
im not posting for the sake of it

my laptop first laptop,it would work and then randomly disconnect,then it would say no networks detected,and i would have to restart it

my second one would also do something simular,except restarting wouldnt fix this,i would just have to wait for it to decide to work i guess...

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

@rhysh, its not the operating system, because i also changed to XP and still had the same problem.
Thanks for you advises, but some seem to be baby-advises...its not the connection that i am having problem with. I have also tried other programs to see if it works, and it is the same story...random.

Dnr man, i already told you, i reset the whole wifi setting twice...once it affected it; but the second such thing didn't happen. I reset everything using the disk the company provided me.

well, thanks for your help, now i am going to take the last option and call the company...should have been my first. :S
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)