? about getting a new laptop

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

? about getting a new laptop

Post by Still_Learning »

I have been laptop less for about a year now and thnk it is time to get one.
I have been checking this deal out but its only good until midnight tonight

Code: Select all

woot.com
eMachines 2GHz Widescreen Notebook with Linux
$299.99

* + $5 shipping

Condition:
New
Product:
1 eMachines LXN070C008 Widescreen Notebook Celeron 2GHz, 1GB, 120GB, 15.4", Webcam, DVD-RW, Linux OS

what do you all think? good deal or do you know of a better deal?
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

make sure you got ports for rj-45, rj-11, USB, and a wifi card, mine came with a CD burner too

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:make sure you got ports for rj-45, rj-11, USB, and a wifi card, mine came with a CD burner too

DNR
well I have not used a what is it Rj-11 phone dailer port in a very long time lol pretty much all wifi and ethernet now. it does has 2 USB 2.0 portsw/ built in wifi this comes with DVD&CD burner.. more info..

pending epic struggle for the exploding notebook market is great news for you. Why? Because it will provide an opportunity to finally crush the mighty Microsoft beast once and for all!

Well… maybe that overstates it, actually. Instead of “finally crush the mighty Microsoft beast once and for all,” let’s say “sell quite a few Linux notebooks.”

Notebooks like this one, here. I mean—it’s got everything a person wants in a portable computer, right? It’s got a nice wide screen, respectable Intel Celeron processor, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified network connection, 120-gig hard drive, a DVD drive. It’s got a couple USB 2.0 ports for whatever. (I’d use one for a mouse, myself. I hate that little touchpad thing.) It’s got an integrated webcam and built-in mic for video-chattin’ with your pals. Nice, right?

Sure it is! It’s nice enough that there are bound to be people who buy it having never used anything but Windows before. Those people are your initiates. They’re your flock. They’re your recruits. They could be the future of your community.

But here’s the problem. This thing is not exactly user-friendly right out of the box. It boots into a single user mode command prompt. There’s no desktop. You’re going to have to tinker. No helpful paper clip will magically appear to guide you. If you’re a Linux wiz, awesome. But for a user that ain’t—well, he’s going to want to just give up, or install his own favorite OS, or maybe just curl up into a ball and sob. Maybe he’ll call you.

Have you ever tried to get into something new? We’ve almost all done this: You go into a bike shop, or a record store, or a comics shop, being not an expert on bikes, or comics, or the hottest new bands. And you ask the clerk a question. It’s not a stupid question; it’s just a beginner’s question. It’s something that everyone in the bike (or comics or music) scene already knows. And this clerk, this snotty little insecure punk, who has never been the big man anywhere—not at school, not with the ladies, not on the socioeconomic scale, nowhere—well, he’s the big man in this shop. He knows all about this stuff, and you don’t, and he wants to make sure you understand that, so he belittles you. He gives you this attitude.

Now, he could have acted differently. He could have been excited to share his expertise with someone who’s new to his community—who, by joining, would have enlarged and strengthened it. But nooooo. So you leave, kinda annoyed, and you never feel very much like going back, so you end up not really getting all that into cycling (or whatever it is).

That’s what your new Linux users are going to face this year, alright? So don’t give them guff. Don’t treat them like they’re morons. Welcome them. Answer their questions. Nurture them. And, I swear, by the end of the year, the community could grow… I dunno, whateverfold. A lot.

And then you can be like: “This sucks; I liked Linux better before it got all big.”

Warranty: 1 Year eMachines
Authorized for SquareTrade Extended Warranty

Features:

* Linpus Linux Operating System
* Intel Celeron 2.00GHz Processor 575 with 1M Cache and 667 MHz Front Side Buss
* 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified network connection
* 1GB Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM (capable of 4GB)
* 15.4-inch WXGA high-brightness (200-nit) TFT LCD with 1280 × 800 pixel resolution
* Mobile Intel GL40 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics
* High-definition audio support with two built-in stereo speakers
* 120GB hard drive
* DVD Drive, DVD-RAM/R/RW
* Lithium-Ion 6 cell battery
* Weight: 6.17 lb

Interface/Ports:

* Two USB 2.0 ports
* External display (VGA) port
* Headphone/speaker/line-out jack
* Microphone-in jack
* Ethernet (RJ-45) port
* DC-in jack for AC adapter

Webcam:

* Integrated webcam
* 310K-megapixel resolution
* Enhanced technology for low-light environments
* Built-in microphone

Optical Drive:
8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive

* Read: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 6X DVD-ROM DL (double-layer), 6X DVD-R DL (double-layer), 6X DVD+R DL (double-layer), 6X DVD-RW, 6X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM
* Write: 24X CD-R, 16X CD-RW, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R DL (double-layer), 4X DVD+R DL (double-layer), 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM

Special Keys and Controls:

* 88-/89-key keyboard with inverted “T” cursor layout, 2.5 mm (minimum) key travel)
* Touchpad pointing device
* 12 function keys, four cursor keys, two Windows® keys, hotkey controls,
embedded numeric keypad, international language support
* Easy-launch button: WLAN

Power:

* ACPI 3.0 CPU power management standard: supports Standby and Hibernation power-saving modes
* 48.8 watt 4400 mAh 6-cell Li-ion battery pack: 3.0-hour battery life3
* 3-pin 65 W AC adapter

In the box:

* eMachines LXN070C008 Notebook
* Battery
* Power Adapter
* Users Guide

----

Ive got about 4 hours to decide weather to buy it or not, ive checked the eee pcs and such and ebay and nuegg, grass roots, ect.. and have not found a better deal. The only reason I am thinking about jumping on this deal is because I have done my research on laptop prices. I can upgrade the ram to 4GB as well. i will never pay for software unless it is freeware or comes with the PC. or I have some kind of connections to get it for free.

Dunno, think i will get it simply because i need a laptop for school and 300$ for this , you cant go wrong. Plus it would be nice to use a laptop on the go instead of only being able to access it from the house.

unless you or someone can find a better deal :-)
Gone

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Ok I bought it. Cant wait for my new lappy in the mail! (should be sent priority mail - 2 to 4 business days) I love making money,
I will be buying another car in a week as well. Hopefully I can find an old Impala like a 64' to work on or maybe an old Caddy throw some chrome rims on it and new audio system , cheap on insurance *paid off*.. it is not often you find a lap top at a deal like that though for 300$ w/ warranty, thats what you save money for right? then I can do war driving in my 64' impala hitting switches next weekend:D they would never suspect it? gangsta'd out car hitting switches war driving? lol gotta make the dough "aint broke no mo'"
Gone

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

moved the thread, I think you accidentally posted in the "general computing" section of the tutorial board instead of the regular general computing board... :wink: