Everyday Windows strikes again!

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Everyday Windows strikes again!

Post by ph0bYx »

Here we go again
(I wrote this a few minutes ago, but an error appeared when I was submitting it and deleted the whole text)

Today I've decided to download Ubuntu and install it on my computer. And so I did, I visited the Ubuntu official website and choose the Desktop edition, 32bit and a host and started to download. Waiting for it to download was a bit boring so I've decided to play a few games of Warcraft with a friend of mine. When we ended the Download window of firefox was displaying that the download was complete.. at 189MB's (out of 699 standard size). So I download again this time different host, and manage to download the whole thing (German hosts rule!).
The next step was to burn the iso. I was fresh out of empty CDs so I used a DVD. I inserted the DVD and ran Nero, a burning program. Quickly after it, nero opened my disc drive and reported an error saying that I've inserted a CD instead of a DVD that I chose. I inserted another DVD and the burning process started.
The burning speed was 18x > 9.5x > 18x and the recommended speed is 8x, but I thought that it wouldn't matter to much if I burned it on a higher speed.. (WRONG!)
Next step was to reboot.
I rebooted and the Ubuntu setup displayed. I setted all the settings right. (WRONG!)
Keyboard was all fucked up, couldn't use "xyqw" letters at all.
The installation started and there I was, happy as a baby, at least until 50% of it. An error occurred saying that I've burned the DVD wrond and suggested that I should burn it on a lower speed.
In spite the error, Ubuntu loaded and I was able to explore Linux for the first time in my life. It was very unusual since I have no experience with Linux at all!
After I had my fun I rebooted again to burn it properly. Windows starts up normally (WRONG!)
A whole partition is missing and only a few programs were able to run:NOD32, ZoneAlarm, SpywareTerminator, Notepad and HydraIRC (<3).
And there I was, freaked out like I'm having a near death experience.
What now? I run HydraIRC and wait for cats or bb to come to ask them for help. Of course they didn't appear, it's all going against my will today, why should this be an exception?
I waited a few minutes and decide to boot with the Ubuntu LiveCD again and try to find solutions on the net, because I couldn't run any browsers on Windows.
I hit the restart button because I couldn't restart in Windows neither.
I've waited calmly for Ubuntu to boot up, but this time there were mountains of errors!
And there I was, neither happy or mad, just the God-you'll-feel-this-when-I-get-up-there mood.
What now? -______-
I hit the restart button once again and wait.
Windows boots up but this time MSN appears, and I was like: FUCK THE WHAT! YAAAY
I thought I could run all the programs again. (WRONG!)
I open IRC and brag around that I have MSN. Open My Computer and see that the D: partition (where I "installed" Ubuntu) had a question mark on it. I go to the properties of it and see that it's RAW instead of NTFS, so I'm guessing that it was a Linux partition.
I try to open Firefox, but my freak-box froze, and I hit the restart button again.
After the boot, Trillian appears this time too. I open My Computer and there was the D: partition NTFS this time and with all the files that were in it before I tried to install Ubuntu.
Now this I don't get: How did the files stay there if Ubuntu setup formatted the partition (I even got the warning screen that all the data will be lost)? :S

Anyways that just another day with Windows on my freak-box.
I would like to thank _7A69 and N3rd for killing some time with me on the IRC. Thanks guys!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, this is really weird....as I told you on yahoo it is usually the best to install Linux on unassigned space (at least that's how I always do it).
so you should start->run->diskmgmt.msc and delete the D partition there first. I bet the problem was caused by the fact that D was a MS partition and now it's a Linux one, but because the partition table have not been edited MS still kinda uses it.... :-k

7A69
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by 7A69 »

One thing that's sure is that it really wasn't your lucky day. I'm sorry I couldn't be any help even though I use ubuntu alongside with xp and have installed that combo few times. Nevertheless my linux usage is still just one great mix of lottery and googling.:lol: Anyway all the symptoms were just way too strange for me to understand and I bet you had the "whether to cry or laugh" feeling too.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Don't know what to say.
A part of my D: partition is still missing, and when I right click on the ubuntu iso image, MS reports an explorer error...
Here's the partition now:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8500/catsd.jpg

It was 97GB big, but now it's only 51GB :?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Now I'm using IMGBurn and burning the ISO with 6x speed on a CD this time.
It burned normally, but in the verification process I get this error:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8627/catswbs.jpg

And here is the log:
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1049/catsbet.jpg

I'm guessing something is wrong with the ISO :roll:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, the missing part of the partition is the part where you installed Ubuntu the first time I guess....because Windows can't read Linux file systems... :wink:
and hmmm...it's also possible the CD/DVD drive is already a little worn out, so it produces read errors sometimes, I would give it a try as long as you got no errors during the burning process.

and maybe it's the best you do a full new setup by formatting the whole HDD, creating only one partition for XP and leave the rest unassigned. then install XP first....and if you have some traffic left maybe give the Debian net installer a try, or try to burn the iso on another computer (if the Ubuntu install fails because of CD errors)... :-k