Which editor tool?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Which editor tool?

Post by computathug »

So everyone uses some form of txt editor whatever system you are on, but there are quite a few out there to choose from.

I use 2 OS at the moment.

XP Pro with SP2
Debian Lenny

Now i use totaledit on windows instead of using Notepad as i find it a cool app to use in exact the same way but with a lot more options built in.

Total edit also has an option to use a version where no install is required and will also run from a USB, which i yet have to trybut like the idea.

I use Vi on my Debian box as this is just some thing i have got used to and like anything else once you find you navigation its quite easy to use.

I am asking this question as there are quite a lot of options and i would like to hear about a few more and why you opt to use these. I am all for making life comfortable ....it's never easy :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

on XP I use Notepad++ and on Linux vi....but sometimes I also use Bluefish, it's more comfy than vi when having to edit a huge source file because of the syntax highlighting:
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Nice, thanks b_b. This looks like it works like total edit does for windows and i was hoping to find something like it for linux. I am going to take a look at this in a mo.

I also like what it says on the homepage....not something you often see lol
Bluefish runs on most (maybe all?) POSIX compatible operating systems including Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS-X, OpenBSD and Solaris. Running on Windows is possible but less supported. There is an independent Bluefish-Windows project for a native Bluefish binary for windows.
cheers buddy 8)

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

bad_brain wrote:on XP I use Notepad++ and on Linux vi....but sometimes I also use Bluefish, it's more comfy than vi when having to edit a huge source file because of the syntax highlighting:
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
I use vim, with a modified .vimrc file, allows syntax highlighting, tab specifications and whitespace allocation. You can do SO many things with vim - I like it better than GUI most times, but if I am going to use a GUI, like when I am in Windows..I use Aptana Studio. GREAT IDE!!