Hosting Bandwidth

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Hosting Bandwidth

Post by 3XTORTION »

well,im moving to berlin soon and decided to start hosting to get some euros in my pocket :D as i kno php mysql and server/networking stuff and i have some clients that i can host...im asking how fast my internet speed should be ? a DSL could do the job ? cz ill be staying in the berlin's university dorms and i dont think i can purchase fiber optic connection...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

phew...for your own site a DSL connection might be enough, but for hosting there should be AT LEAST a 10mb upload rate...then it would be enough for a couple of low-medium traffic sites, but if there are multiple downloads at the same time the other sites would be affected too.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

but if there are multiple downloads at the same time the other sites would be affected too
Is it possible, to "queue" the downloading, so that it will be capped at a certain amount, so as not to affect the others?
To the wicked, I am merely too knowledgeable in their ways.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

check the university's policy on file-sharing/hosting. Sounds like you are stuck with their network - hence their TOS. I am sure they already know about students hosting files on dorm networks.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes swan, traffic shaping can be done on the server, so a single site has only 50kb/s bandwidth for example....but this also affects the development of the site, if the site owner wants to upload his files he also has to deal with the limited bandwidth then.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

@BB

my original query was to perhaps provide a potential solution for the OP's dilemma....

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I know Swan, and limiting the bandwidth for every site would be a must for him if he wants to host multiple sites...actually it's even pretty easy to do with an Apache module:
http://bwmod.sourceforge.net/

:)

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

BB,

is that what you do? Do you have the limiting feature on ALL your sites, or just in one central location?

OP:

Id STRONGLY recommend you famialrise yourself with German E-law concerning your liability for hosting, which is rather harsh I am afraid. If you require any advice on the EU perpsective of it, Ill be happy to help. (that goes for you to BB).

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well i was checking the internet for german ISPs and 1und1 seems a fast IPS link here.

with 50 Euro i could have a 16000kbit/sec internet wich is amazing...:D as for the german law:couple of sites could have nulled scripts and hackint content...could this lead to some law problems ? 8O cz idk about germany but here in lebanon everything is allowed lol :P

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

@swan:
nope, the server has a 100Mb connection, which is enough.... :wink:

@tonit:
I am not 100% sure, but I think the 1&1 flatrate has just a 1MB upload rate, would be not really enough for hosting multiple sites imo (but ok, depends on how well frequented they are)... :wink:
and I highly recommend to stay away from hosting "nulled scripts" and any other stuff that violates copyrights....ok, the danger is not that big like with mp3s, but IF you get caught it can get pretty expensive. hosting "hacking stuff" is a grey area...it is not really allowed anymore (scanners, trojans, etc.), this is why all big german hacking sites have left german servers and moved to countries like the Netherlands....look here for an example:
http://freeworld.thc.org/welcome/
but I am not aware of a case where someone was sued for hosting such stuff yet.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

probably because hosting scripts for free does not weigh as heavy as selling them ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]