Google and Gmail ban

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Google and Gmail ban

Post by DrVirus »

Guys, I need your help with something. Last night I was at this friends place and he claimed there is no way I can open any google page from his computer. Well I tried. When I entered gmail.com, the page started loading but then all of a sudden a pop up message showed up saying it's banned(not a IE message a popup message by windows). then I tried google. Same thing. I tried to install mozila and try from there. Same thing. But I can do a search from the google toolbar dat is attached with the mozila. I can't even go to googletalk. As a matter of fact I can't even install it !!

Any idea what or how he did it ? By the way the task manager is banned in that computer.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

sounds more like a virus then a ban.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

the fact your friend has disabled taskman tells me he is hiding something running in taskman. Bring a disk with Process Explorer burnt on it and run it - it will supercede taskman and show you all the processes running - so you can kill the application that is running the 'filter'. If he wont allow you to put a disk in the computer, reboot - go to safe mode, find the app in Start Up folder or the program folder (I am betting your friend is not as smart as you)
rename the .exe. At start up the error message "can't find xx.exe" will allow to continue start up.

We shall have to play a trick on your friend some day eh?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

hmm. that's a possibility. U sure it's an app and not a registry edit ?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yea, the taskman is hiding your clue. The reg edit might disable taskman but I can't see it doing all the work filtering google.

Process explorer is not that big of an app, harmless, and in the suck-o DL section.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Okay. Thanks man. As always :D. I promise not to rest until this matter is resolved.

DrVirus

THE NEXT STEP

Post by DrVirus »

Yo people. Sorry about bringing up an old post(not that old I hope) But it's still unresolved.

Here are some new infos. I did the policy explorer as instructed and found two very interesting .exes. As soon as I killed both of them voila! taskmanager and google is no longer banned. But the thing is they are simply shown as C:\WINDOWS\system32\.exe no file name. So I can't exactly rename them. SO they keep poping up every time the computer boots. I did look into msconfig and I'm sorry to inform all of you it's way to messed up in there.

Any more ideas ?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

good job, now the hijackthis will help record a log so we can see what you got!
(here is where I say "I told ya so!" :wink: )
DNR
-