Download files gets deleted[solved]

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Download files gets deleted[solved]

Post by DrVirus »

Okay this is by far the weirdest problem I have come up with in a long long time (I only come up with weird problems. Maybe B_B should make me a different thread :D ).

So here is how it goes. I'm running this lappy right ? It's a Vaio VGN NR37G. And the suckers in India has a scam to push the Win Vistas that don't sell. They install it default with ur lappy. Full version. And format it, u blow ur warrenty. Anyway I am working with it. And I got this unlimited download broadband service. So I'm downloading big time.

All of a sudden. Just today it happened. THe files I download simply disappear. That's right. They Vanish ! I tried different browsers (Mozilla and IE) I tried different locations. Nothing.

Then I tried to download with Process Explorer running. Nothing. No weird process show up. Nothing what so ever. All I get are the part files.

I am clueless about what's going on. If it's a virus, this is the strangest one I have heard of. Right now I'm running a Kaspersky Online Scan. If any one can help then great.

P.S. Sorry about disappearing for a long time if anyone noticed. Bad health and some pending work.
Last edited by DrVirus on 22 Jul 2009, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

A wild guess: do you have enough free space on your hard drive(s)?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

You can try turning off the UAC by

Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off.

After googling around this seemed to do the trick for most people.

Hope this helps :wink:

*edit*
Welcome back too DrVirus. Hope your health is much better 8)
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

I have a 100 Gb free.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, might sound silly, but have you checked if the files show up when enabling "show all files" in the folder options? no idea how it is called in english, could also be "show hidden files" or something like that.

I had a couple of downloads already that were labeled as "hidden files" after extracting them from a .zip or .rar archive... :-k

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

well my folder option is supposed to show me all files hidden or not. and i will try th c-thug thing as soon as my scanning ends.

By the way thanks for the concern c-thug. I have this strange shoulder pain keeps poping up. On both shoulders. Am on pain medication. No idea where it came from. Maybe DNR knows.

Edit : Sorry c-thug didn't work. Turned of UAC still the same.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Have you checked your temporary folder? Go to your explorer and type %TEMP%. See if they're there.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

They are not in the TEMP folder. strangely the only TEMPs dated 21rst July are a couple of bitmap images and nothing else. Come on guys !! Anyone has any idea what's going on ??

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Problem Solved my friends :D. You wont belive it. I don't either. I had no virus attack. I had no driver problem. My OS didn't screw up. It something no one could have suspected. My AV.

That's right I had ESET NOD 32 v4 installed. But since Vista didn't let me use the crack it expired on 21rst. Now ESET had this strange setting. If the AV is expired then no downloads :D. After a successful uninstall everything is great. Can u belive it ??

:lol:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Nice one DrVirus.

I am happy you got everything back. :D

Thanks for telling everyone the solution :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

More and more AVPs are trying to control what people can download and store on their HDDs. I should point out that even if the AVP was not expired - it would have stripped out .exes or tools that it deems harmful anyways. If it was stored in a quarantined or monitored folder that the AVP owns - it might get deleted when you uninstall the AVP too.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wow, that is blackmail...."no new pron for you until you have payed us for a license"... :lol:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Wow. That's borderline extortion.