Windows 7 Uninstall

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Windows 7 Uninstall

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

If I installed Windows 7 on a partition, and later instead of formatting, I just deleted everything on that partition, would that work? Or is there something else I would need to do. Only reason I ask is because all my music is on that partition, and if I end up not liking Windows 7, I have no where to put my music (50gb+) when I format it. Sorry if this is bad explanation.

Edit: Typo

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...depends. if the partition is on a HDD where also your main system is located (XP for example) the MBR will be overwritten with the Windows7 bootloader, I don't know if Windows7 recognizes other OSs on the HDD and creates a boot entry in the menu for that automatically (I just have tested W7 on an extra HDD yet).
actually I doubt W7 does this, so you will have to run fixmbr if you want to get back to the other OS on the HDD:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true

but if W7 is installed on its own HDD it should be no problem, all you have to do is to edit the boot settings in BIOS so that the W7 HDD is not checked.

:wink:

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Yeah it would be on a separate partition.

I have another question, I have no blank dvd's left, but I do have some that I used to really small files and I can definitely fit the Windows 7 iso on it. I'm wondering if it's possible to add data to a dvdr.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

depends on if the DVD was finalized during the 1st burning process or not, if it wasn't finialized (multisession) it's no problem, you can simply add new data with your usual burning app.
but if it was finalized there is no way to add new data... :wink:

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Okay thanks for the help.

EDIT: I do have an external HDD, do you know if it's possible to boot off of that? I've read a couple tutorials on installing windows from a USB stick, so I'd assume it would be the same with a harddrive, but they all say I have to format in order to do that.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it seems to be possible, personally I have never done it so I can't say if it really works or not.
it also seems to be not that simple, take a look here:
http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

booting from USB itself should be no problem, I guess any of the modern mainboards support it, simply have a look at the boot options in BIOS... :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Just FYI, windows 7 DOES install a bootloader for multiple os's. I'm running windows 7 and xp on my laptop.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, ok, thanks for the info... :)