ATM's running Windows

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

ATM's running Windows

Post by LaBlueGirl »

So my SO goes to the bank two or three days ago, tries to use the ATM.

Lo and behold, DOS prompts are on it. He tries his card, Windows error messages show up. ATM says Windows is shutting down, card finally comes out.

Now, correct me if I am wrong or talking out my ass here, but can ATM's really be run by freaking Windows?????
Would a bank be so stupid as to network (in some fashion) their comps and ATM's with Windows XfreakingP? (That was what it was running).
Don't ATM's have their own "ATM-ey" program?

We figured it was stupid on the bank's part if this is the case, but it only leaves vulnerabilities the employees can exploit, which isn't too likely they would. (Steal from one's job).

The central banking office (or whatever) would have equal insecurity with Linux or Windows and prolly wouldn't use UNIX (practicality reasons and NOT cost:))

Anyhoo, what's ya'l's opinions on this? I was very shocked to hear this tale.
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

cash machines

Post by DNR »

I picked up a manual on operating a NCR ATM machine, the delivery people left it out in the open. The certain model of NCR ATM cash machines can be put into admin mode by pulling the front panel forward far enough to allow a pin to pop up- it does need a key to open the front fully, but the front has enough play in it :twisted:

In Admin mode you can access a menu of information - like how much money is left in the machine! it can print out cash transactions, but the pins are ***, and you can reset the counter so it shows it has been refilled. You would down load to a 1.44 floppy the actual transaction data, in propriety code. You can delete shit! I can't remember what else, and no, you can't get into the safe below - it is manual locked via key/combo # I think the manual did state a default combo number of 1234 shit you not, still needed the key though..
Beware, ATMs can be hooked up to a cellphone dial-out or a landline to contact an operator if the machine is tampered with, or removed :twisted:
Oh yea, I was told the average portable ATM holds $2,500. That is less than the advertised reward your partner will get for ratting you out - $5,000..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

LaBlueGirl

Re: cash machines

Post by LaBlueGirl »

DNR wrote:I picked up a manual on operating a NCR ATM machine, the delivery people left it out in the open. The certain model of NCR ATM cash machines can be put into admin mode by pulling the front panel forward far enough to allow a pin to pop up- it does need a key to open the front fully, but the front has enough play in it :twisted:
DNR
That would be nice, except
1. We use the ATM *inside* the bank
2. ATM's (and eveything else) close hella early here (no such thing as 24 hrs)
and
3. I haven't watched enough COPS shows to learn from other's stupidities :P

That's some good info, tho. 2500 is actually less than I thought they would carry!
I've seen armored trucks (in the States) doing shit with ATM's (not like, filling them or anything, but you know what they are there for).
Reminds me of the urban legend (I think, haven't checked snopes.com in awhile) of the would-be theives who took the entire machine from the bank wall :)

Thanks, DNR
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I saw something like that on "Worlds Dumbest Criminals" or whatever the name of the show was. They hooked a chain around the ATM Machine and lost their bumper and license plate when they tried to drag the machine off the wall. Stupid criminals. :P