What would you like to see...

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

What would you like to see...

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey everybody. Me and mabs are collaborating on a new project. We're creating a new forum system that's powered with AJAX and PHP. However, we would like some help. What we want from you are ideas - what would you like to see in a forum system?

Remember, there are no stupid ideas! Even if the idea sounds impossible, POST IT! Okay everybody, open the floodgates and bring on the ideas!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

yes!

Post by maboroshi »

Yes would love to hear your thoughts.

*cheers

Maboroshi

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

a subscription feature would be nice. like where you can subscribe to a thread and when you login the next day again you are notified if new posts have been made in the threads you have subscribed to.. :) maybe even with a little ajax bling-bling where you can deactivate subscriptions (not just cancel them, also "put them to sleep" until you activate them again for example)...also the ability to sort them would be nice (like the drag&drop stuff in the Wordpress admin iface), so you can put the subscription you are interested the most in on top.

Gen

Post by Gen »

I think a "floating internal search engine" would be nice.. A bit like google, but only on this site, where your keywords is being compared to all posts, and finds the post most likely to meet the intended purpose.. And then gives you a list of possible results while typing in your keywords..

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

b_b, maybe. It's a good idea, but that may take a lot of js coding.

gen, i like your idea. that should be pretty easy to code in ^_^

bozotheclown138
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by bozotheclown138 »

maybe for the download section to be able to upload files from your own computer instead having to provide a link haha just an idea

edit: ah sorry didnt notice the forum part :?
Last edited by bozotheclown138 on 19 Sep 2009, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

a spamchat.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

You what would be nice, is a IRC Chat feature on the site. So someone can click "Chat" and it brings up in your web browser the suck-o irc chat room.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Something like the java-client on the front page of suck-o?

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

Yes, well it would not have to be on the front page, it would be nice for it to pop up in another window when you click the link, so you can chat in the irc via the website and access the forums and everything else all at once, without having to login with mirc, or pigeon or whatever.. it would probuly make the chatroom more active as well. In the chat room you can have music playing, downloads, all kinds of stuff, it would be nice to have alot of the regular irc commands also work in the web browser script.

What about hacking related torrents? (depending on the laws where you are located) or as long as all the torrents are freeware stuff instead of doing direct downloads.

What about Wargames posted on the left, where you can click on it and learn how to hack something with different levels kind of like hackthissite.com or whatever it is called and a thing under your name showing how many points you have or how well you are at hacking. So people with big egos can prove it and show it.

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

You could have an AJAX applet that gives the forum user an idea if the IRC is active. Like, display the last ten lines said in IRC, asynchronously of course, and perhaps a message that says "Last message: x hours, y minutes and z seconds ago." to give an idea of current activity.

And well, seeing new forum posts updated in some list or something at the top would be pretty nice, to be honest, and possibly even be able to post something asynchronously, and make it update asynchronously. E.g., when you are replying to a post, if someone replies to it whilst you are writing a reply, you might want to see new content to update your reply accordingly. And when you post it, if it happened asynchronously, it would be wicked.

Heh, in general, asynchronicity is the keyword. We all know how awesome websites and webapps that are async are to use. Facebook is a good example - most of it is asynchronous.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Some of this stuff has nothing to do with a forum system, however there are some great ideas. I see a few that i'll definitely put to use. If you guys have any more ideas, post 'em!

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

diffrent themes, or atleast a way to select different themes. Not everybody loves the purple.

What about on-line games, where people can compete in math games, tetris and such

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

as for the user management: ban system XD, purge system (logs out all clients) permissions.

and lots of features u can find in phpbb are usefull. but maybe simplified. Although their usermanagement is extensive, it is a pain in the ass due to all the ways to do stuff.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

p4inl0v3r wrote:i have an idea ... how about a member rating ?
if u like someone u can add him on the fan list and if not, the hate list ;)
will be kinda fun

okay serious talk now the staff can then have a look at the statistics and know the health on the forum.... if there are people who are not liked by the majority then they can be warned or whatever action u guys like ...
good guys can be given incentives as well :D

just an idea to monitor the board health !
well I think this would end us up with some people trying to get down other people, rather than trying to focus on the aim of this site, which is computer oriented discussions. Try as much as possible to get farther away from conflict, as this will make things complicated, and thus worse to manage.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com