A game anyone?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
IceDane
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by IceDane »

bad_brain wrote:
The port scanner has all the information it needs once it gets a SYN-ACK, there's no need to keep the connection after that, so a RST is sent.
which connection? there is none until the client replies with an ACK to the SYN-ACK. the RST simply resets the state of the service waiting for the ACK by the client (like "um, nvm"), and only a few port scanners are that friendly.
Yes, this is why, when stealth scanning, you simply send a RST packet. If the port is open, a RST packet is received from the victim. If it is open, SYNACK is received from the victim. If SYNACK is received, it means it is open, but the point isn't to open a connection, so a RST packet is sent back.
DNR wrote:To increase the learning potential of this game, try to write from your own knowledge and not from wikipedia please. The scanner host will NOT send a RST packet. Your quote above, is copied from wikipedia - is wrong, because wikipedia was wrong!
There is no point in knowing everything by heart. Trying to do so is a waste of time, as there are so many details that are only useful in certain, very specific situations(Such as the TCP header flags). When you need such things, you will remember enough about them to know you need to check them out, and that's why you have a reference.
leetnigga wrote:gogeta70, that was indeed pretty much it. It's important though that this is not the same as weak typing like in PHP. Everything is still completely statically typed, so once variable a is inferred to be an integer, you can't use it again as a string. It's not that the types aren't there, it's that they're implicit Good answer.
Type inference has nothing to do with polymorphism. That might not be what you're trying to say, but that's what it looks like.

Type inference is simply deducting what type a certain variable or literal/constant is, without it being specified explicitly. An example would be the way haskell infers types of functions if you leave out the type signatures.

Anyway, this had been answered, so I'll leave it at that.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I see the confusion - it was between the RST on the server side and the RST on the client side. I do agree a client scanning can send a RST to close a port after it gets an open response from it - my POV was looking at the RST response from the server being scanned. You don't always have to send a RST to close a waiting port, most OS will drop the connection on its own - either due to a timeout or it drops multiple connections from the same IP.

-End Flog of Dead Horse-

The different POV is what makes the game more fun, if we all cut and paste from wikipedia, the game would be no fun. The point of the game was to test personal knowledge or experience. It is possible for some people to have deep insight to some areas of computers and networking.

To get back on Topic:

pinout
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

DNR wrote:I see the confusion - it was between the RST on the server side and the RST on the client side. I do agree a client scanning can send a RST to close a port after it gets an open response from it - my POV was looking at the RST response from the server being scanned. You don't always have to send a RST to close a waiting port, most OS will drop the connection on its own - either due to a timeout or it drops multiple connections from the same IP.

-End Flog of Dead Horse-

The different POV is what makes the game more fun, if we all cut and paste from wikipedia, the game would be no fun. The point of the game was to test personal knowledge or experience. It is possible for some people to have deep insight to some areas of computers and networking.

To get back on Topic:

pinout
Yes, it is possible, but it would not be as much of a learning experience if you are barely allowed to research the subject, as you will inevitably end up writing some of what you read.

Pinout
Basically a term for a way to describe what certain pins do on an eletrical connector.

I didn't actually recognize the term in English, so I googled it and found out that I knew what itw as, just in my native language.

Either way, to resolve any uncertainty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinout#Example_pinouts

Oh, right, it's my turn.

CSPRNG

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Blum Blum Shub

*as example of a CSPRNG

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.