Ports

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Ports

Post by Kirk »

Lets say I have a program that requires me to open port 8080. How do i go about opening the port.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Ports

Post by maboroshi »

You would need to open the port in your firewall. If your behind a router look at something called Port forwarding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I don't think you are talking about opening a port on a firewall, but starting the service first right?

Not sure what OS you have, but you can DL a web server application from the internet - when you start it up, you tell it to use port 8080, and then your firewall will prompt you if you want this app to be allowed to access that port, / Y.

So you need to start the service first, as it is not normally run as a part of a desktop client.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if it's a service that requires an outgoing connection allowing it in the desktop firewall is usually all that is needed. but if you want to provide the service to the outside (incoming connections) you additionally have to set up port forwarding (if you are connected to the internet via router)... :wink:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Ok, so my curiosity is peeked... as both of the above answers are correct for a different situation.

8080 is an alternate to port 80, the reason it's so hi is because long ago in the primordial mush that later became the interwebs the first 1023 ports were privileged so that only root access or administrator privileges could open services on them. 8080 is used when you don't have the rights, or when there is already have web service running on 80... unless I'm wrong that is.

So, do you want to run a service there which precludes running on 80?
Is there a program trying to get out unsuccessfully?
Or is it something else that I'm not considering?
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]