My internet is slower

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

My internet is slower

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Hi, my internet used to cap at about 1.1mb/s. I could not download anything faster then that. I just formatted and reinstalled windows xp, and now my internet seems to be capping at 500kb/s. Does anyone know why?

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

It may have nothing to do with you. If you're using DSL and at a time when many people are online then the bandwidth is being taken up by everyone. Try doing speed test at various times. Also, try to find a speed test close to you.

THis one cox uses: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

some of the patches for XP might have fixed issues with your PC before, since you reformatted, and reinstalled XP, you need the updates.

Otherwise, it is plausible - more people in your neighborhood have subscribed to the same provider, and the provider is trying to balance the load out on the segment of the network your neighborhood is in. The balancing can be automatic, as less people are online - it could increase the speeds as demand decreases. The best way to find out - try going online at 3am - 4am when the world is sleeping - if you have speed, then its likely congestion during 'rush hour'

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

They are right. Rush Hour is a factor. Another factor is the ISP. I have a unlimited download account for obvious reasons. And the ISPs put restrictions on these accounts. See my download speed is about 35-40 kbps. What can one do ?

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

I was downloading stuff a few days before I formatted at 1mb/s or so. Now I download the same stuff at 500kb/s. It's been consistently capping at 1mb/s for like a year now, so I don't think it's a coincidence that I formatted, and now my internet is slower. I'll take DNR's advice and download all the updates for windows I do not have. (there are a lot at the moment, I just hate restarting my computer for each one).

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Restart for each one? I dont do that. i know you are suppose to, but i dont. only for the major ones.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Kirk wrote:Restart for each one? I dont do that. i know you are suppose to, but i dont. only for the major ones.
The updates do not apply until restarted, you cannot download any other updates until you restart, and after you install, it gives you a restart message every 10 minutes. That's why I usually hold off installing them until I actually need to restart for some other reason.