Different kind of network switches?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Different kind of network switches?

Post by ayu »

I have been trying to find two examples of different kinds of switches.
One example where the max speed of the switch is 100 Mbit, making everyone share the 100 Mbit that connects. And one example where everyone who connects to the switch gets 100 Mbit each to use.

trying to find some fact that specifically says this, as well as some products that I can use as examples. Having a long lived argument with a friend, and he refuses to believe that the network speed in our student house is 100 Mbit shared between the students (he uses about 80% of the bandwidth and wont stop because of this) According to him everyone has 100 Mbit each, and that only one type of switch exists.

Just can't find anything good that specifically proves him wrong (interesting is that even when I contacted the people responsible for the network here and asked them how it works, he still didn't believe me).
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

IceDane
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by IceDane »

You are looking at it the wrong way. You speak as if there is some magic 'number' of mbits that's shared between all users.

Thing is, all people have a 100 mbit connection to the switch. There is, however, a limit to the internet connection's bandwidth, and that's probably what he's using. It is also possible to use up all the bandwidth on the network itself, but that's really because the router is handling stuff as fast as it can. In reality, the connection to the router is still 100 mbits, but as soon as it arrives there, it will be processed as fast as it can.

It may be more or less what you said, but it's an important difference. Your friend is mostly incorrect. There is a limit to how much traffic the router can handle, and this friend of yours can be using it by himself.
If it's not his network and you're annoyed by it, then contact the aforementioned administration and let them handle it. Or just unplug his cable or something, hehe.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

icedane is right -

its not the capability of the switch itself - its the limits of the internet connection.

The ISP limits connections speeds up and down to all its customers.
This speed can vary - if you live in a building where many users sap the ISP's network, they will throttle you - this is why you need to fight for network neutrality. The ISP is throttling your building or neighborhood (think of it as a network segment).

So lets say your ISP connects to your home at 150kb down and 50kb up.
Now you divide that by all the users in your home.

yea - so it doesn't matter if the switch is a $2,500 100gb switch - you are fucked by the ISP. If you want to utilize that switch's capability - you need to upgrade to a business class ISP service, get a T1, etc

your boy is an asshole - but you know, there is not much of a way around this except to get a back up ISP or work out a time frame - where he downloads late at night or something.

you can hack his computer and set his card or ISP application to limit itself! thus, he throttles himself.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

how he's doing that ???
is it one connection and shared between all of you, or each student have his own internet account???
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

It's not a router, it's just a normal switch.

And It's not the Internet capability, since the speed to the switch is 1Gbit (according to the administration).

I'm sorry if I was unclear, I had a hard time to put it in words what I meant.

The connection to the switch from the ISP is supposed to be 1Gbit.

The switch as far as I am told can only handle 100 Mbit per second.
Which makes the 100 Mbit shared among the users in this house (everyone has their own external/WAN IP).

My friend believes that if the switch is a "100 Mbit switch" then everyone who plugs in, will get a maximum speed of 100 Mbit per second. As in the switch will kind of handle the hosts separately.

I got a little confused about this since I have taken 2 network communications courses, and thought I knew my stuff, but since my friend sounded so convinced that he was right, I thought it was worth investigating.

I asked bad_brain about it and he mentioned that there are different kinds of switches, the cheap home usage ones, and the expensive professional ones that would be able to handle it like my friend suggested.

Don't remember our whole conversation, but I think I got to the conclusion that he meant that the professional ones are the managed kind of switches where you can manage the traffic between the hosts, and thus limit the speed if needed.

Thoughts?

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I had the exact same problem right before I left Missouri, all available bandwidth on the network was consumed by one individual downloading torrents.

I confronted the guy, I told other people who all confronted him as well... I pulled his plug, hell I even DoS attacked the network for a day figuring if none of us could have internet then he shouldn't have it either...

All things considered every measure was useless, and what should have been the first solution became one of two left available, contacting the administrators, or throwing the switch out the window...

As for types of switches, I'm not so sure... but I know that if the administrators are unable to fix the problem... then there really is only one solution on my list :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

cats wrote:It's not a router, it's just a normal switch.

And It's not the Internet capability, since the speed to the switch is 1Gbit (according to the administration).

I'm sorry if I was unclear, I had a hard time to put it in words what I meant.

The connection to the switch from the ISP is supposed to be 1Gbit.

The switch as far as I am told can only handle 100 Mbit per second.
Which makes the 100 Mbit shared among the users in this house (everyone has their own external/WAN IP).

My friend believes that if the switch is a "100 Mbit switch" then everyone who plugs in, will get a maximum speed of 100 Mbit per second. As in the switch will kind of handle the hosts separately.

I got a little confused about this since I have taken 2 network communications courses, and thought I knew my stuff, but since my friend sounded so convinced that he was right, I thought it was worth investigating.

I asked bad_brain about it and he mentioned that there are different kinds of switches, the cheap home usage ones, and the expensive professional ones that would be able to handle it like my friend suggested.

Don't remember our whole conversation, but I think I got to the conclusion that he meant that the professional ones are the managed kind of switches where you can manage the traffic between the hosts, and thus limit the speed if needed.

Thoughts?
A router is just a switch with interactive software.

You're still missing the point - your school has a shared internet connection. That connection can only be as fast as the switch(E.g. if you had a 2 gigabit line, and the switch only handled 100 mbit, then that's how fast the internet connection would be.)
If you ahve a 100 mbit internet connection and a 10 mbit internet connection, then the maximum speed to the internet will still be 10 mbits.

Your friend is using up the bandwidth of the internet connection. Your school probably has a pretty fast internet connection - perhaps even a gigabit. You guys only really require 100 mbit lines to the switch because the school's connection is not meant to be used by you guys for more traffic than browsing and researching - you'd never really even use 100 mbits if it were up to the admins.

The admins might, on top of all the above, have several switches connected to a main switch, or something like that. That main switch/router may delegate only a certain amount of the entire connection out to each switch - your friend is probably using up all that. It's still the internet connection. I'm pretty sure if you were to send files between two computers on the network, it would still work fine and be pretty fast.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

IceDane wrote:You're still missing the point - your school has a shared internet connection. That connection can only be as fast as the switch(E.g. if you had a 2 gigabit line, and the switch only handled 100 mbit, then that's how fast the internet connection would be.)
If you ahve a 100 mbit internet connection and a 10 mbit internet connection, then the maximum speed to the internet will still be 10 mbits.

It's seems more like you are misunderstand me.
That's just about exactly what I just wrote, in other words.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

you guys are sharing the internet connection
but when it comes to LAN app and connection you'll benefits from the 100mbit of the switch...
if the internet connection is 10mb/s and the switch is 100 mbs, the internet speed will be 10 but on the LAN application level like file sharig it'll be 100 as was mentioned above
the thing is he is consuming the internet connection like in lilrofl case, is that is what you are saying...
IMO it doesn't have to do anything with the switch, it's all about the internet connection bandwidth
so you gotta find a way to limit his bandwidth... :roll: i guess it's the only way... or DOS the network :P
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

My guess is that the switch is connected to another switch over a 100mbit line. The second switch might have a direct connection to the ISP. Tell the guy this as a fact and draw a network map if he doesn't understand, I'm sure he'll be convinced :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

l0ngb1t: It has to do with the switch, since the bandwidth is 1 Gbit/s, as in if we would have bought a 1Gbit switch instead of the 100Mbit, then we would have shared 1Gbit instead of the current 100Mbit.

Anyway, my question is hard to explain it seems, and I feel that I wont get the right answers here. So I will attack the problem at its source instead =)

Thanks for your answers guys.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Ok so, to clear this question up :p

I got my answer now.
And it was really just about everything we talked about in this thread.

The problem was that my friend was still convinced that he was right, which led me to start looking for "another kind of switch", you know, technology advances fast, and you never know what you have might have missed :roll:

Anyway so, after this thread, about 30 minutes with Google, and a discussion with b_b, I have come to the final conclusion ....

What my friend said is bullsh*t :- )

So, sorry for the confusion (if any).

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

cats wrote:Ok so, to clear this question up :p

I got my answer now.
And it was really just about everything we talked about in this thread.

The problem was that my friend was still convinced that he was right, which led me to start looking for "another kind of switch", you know, technology advances fast, and you never know what you have might have missed :roll:

Anyway so, after this thread, about 30 minutes with Google, and a discussion with b_b, I have come to the final conclusion ....

What my friend said is bullsh*t :- )

So, sorry for the confusion (if any).
This is essentially what we had been telling you. You just seemed convinced that we were 'missing the point'. =)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

IceDane wrote: This is essentially what we had been telling you. You just seemed convinced that we were 'missing the point'. =)
Well, you were missing the point =)

What you told me was generally how a switch works, which I already know, so I tried to explain that I was on the lookout for "another kind of switch" (that never existed in the first place, but my friend got me to believe that I had missed something new).

But since I was having the argument with my friend at the same time, it was hard to get all the so called "facts" from him to answer in this thread. Thus a lot of confusion.