What languages do you know?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.

Which coding language(s) do you know?

Poll ended at 27 Aug 2010, 15:47

C/C++
19%
PHP
14%
Visual Basic/VB .NET
19%
Delphi (pascal)
5%
Python
5%
C#
10%
Perl
10%
ASP
10%
Assembly
10%

Total votes: 21

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

What languages do you know?

Post by Gogeta70 »

Just out of interest, i was wondering which coding languages you all knew. If i didn't list your language above, just post your language here.

C/C++ - 1
PHP - 2
Perl - 1
Bash - 1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: What languages do you know?

Post by leetnigga »

I'd recommend taking down the poll. Firstly the list of choices is way too narrow, you lumped together some similar sounding languages and secondly I think it would be much more interesting to hear people talk about what they know, and how much they know. Besides, it's not binary. Unless you define "knowing" as "having heard of" or something like that. It's about how much you know. Fuzzy logic, hehe.

It's an interesting question. If you want to collect statistics you can always update the main post according to peoples' replies.

I'll answer after a night of sleep. What programming languages do you "know"?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the poll is of course a little tricky to set up, because it would end up as 1-minute-scroll-page if all languages would be included....so it's the best to also post a reply too instead of only voting.

ok, so I'll start:
Java (which is missing :P ), Perl and PHP...is Bash labeled as language? if yes add that... :lol:
I learned Java and Perl in my studies, but I have to admit I forgot most of it already, simply because of a lack of practice. but I will get back into Perl sooner or later, not into Java because I always hated it (ugly code, Java apps are also slow and a resource hog)... :x
my PHP skills are "advanced beginner", I can understand the code when I read it (applies to a couple of other languages too), but I am not good enough to code more advanced stuff from scratch yet....again, it's because I have not enough time to sit down and learn. ok, at least not in summer...when the weather is good I prefer to go biking instead of spending more time in front of the screen than I already do.
let's wait until winter... :lol:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I suppose you do have a point, leet. I would like to have added more languages, but the poll has a max of 10 options, so i could only add those. As for knowing, in this case i mean being able to write in the coding language a more complex program that a 'hello world' program (or other similar types).

I'll just try to keep the main post updated with a list of the languages people say that they know.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

I've dabbled in a lot of programming languages.

Nowadays I predominantly use Python for web development (with Django) together with Javascript (with jQuery). For small scripts, I usually use Python or C depending on the application. I've written C and AVR assembly code to control an ATmega32 processor. Recently I wrote some code in Wiring (based on C, C++) to control an Arduino. I'm planning to get back into writing C for microcontrollers, making servos spin and all that. Previously I used the XMonad window manager which is written and configured using Haskell. I've used Haskell for some small maths things (extracting the digits from a number numerically, using logarithms) and programming challenges, but not much else yet. I'm still planning to write an assembler with it. I now use the Awesome window manager which can be extended using the Lua programming language. I'd like to use Lua to script a game or something some time. I want to use Scheme and Forth for something too. I had an idea to write a Forth for the TI-84, my calculator from high school. I don't have much time for that right now. I've written a lot of PHP and I still do sometimes, and I think it's a horrible language.

Here's a list of languages I've used and that I can at least write a small program in:

C
C++
PHP
Lua
Perl
Bash
Java
Forth
Python
Scheme
Wiring
Haskell
Clojure
Assembly
Javascript
Common Lisp
Visual Basic

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Yes, "know" isn't a very useful term for this.

I'll start with defining the terms I'll use:

Ignorant: Haven't coded anything, or just stuff like "hello world" and haven't read any texts on the language

Beginner: Just started out and still don't know much about the language, can write small apps by googling a lot etc.

Average: Know about most of the features of the language, can code pretty much anything, but rarely in the most efficient and beautiful way.

Advanced: Understand and know how to use all language features well. Should also be familiar with (and utilize!) the coding style(s) of the language.

Master: In case advanced isn't enough for you... If you've got shitloads of experience to back you up you might belong here or if you designed the language you probably belong here.

Now for my languages:

Beginner:

Python - I'm currently learning it. Well, in theory at least ...

Ruby - I read a book on it a long time ago but I've forgotten most of it. It was pretty nice.

Lua - I guess I've put this on hold for now. There's no doubt this is the
scripting language I like the most though.

PHP - Learned a bit to create a website, since the create_a_website() function was missing.

Javascript - Same as above.

I suppose I would put Bash here too if you deem it a language xD

Average:

x86 Assembly: My main focus atm, I'm just barely past the line between beginner and average.

Common LISP: My second language, gotta love functional programming. I did a lot of exercises and learned many programming concepts using it.

C++: While I know the features and can code fluently in it I don't have that much experience. If I need to write some general application I use C++ and Qt.

Java: The first language I learned, and the one I want to code in the least now, for the same reasons as b_b, not to mention those awful .class files and the broken .jars ;)

C#: The similarity to java is ridicilous... It didn't take long to pick this up.

Advanced:
C: My preprocessor skills are just average though.

Cheers for using awesome leet! ;)

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

Nice, Lundis.

No reason not to consider bash a language, by the way.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Ill make a different point here that many untrained / self-trained programmer make a mistake in. Myself included. Hell my stubborn head always had issues with this.

Its not so much the language but rather can you put together a Flow chart. If you can make a flow chart then you can program anything in any language. This seems simple enough but its tricky for someone just starting out and holds true for advanced programmers.

My boss will ask me to make a change in a few sentences or less and he wont realize that it could take me weeks to do it. A flow chart makes it easier to stay on task and map out the changes that may or may not be needed. Try to Keep track of a program that is over 10 thousand lines long.

Back to the topic, I can program in several languages (any language in my opinion) but only truly know the "one" I am programming with at this very moment, because I am using it this very moment and will be using it for years. I guess its like speaking a different language if you don't speak it you loose some of it.. Then again by the time I learn the language (years) a new technology comes along and demands I learn its new language. 8O
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I wouldn't call myself a master of any language, but I believe I'm adept in the ones that I use on a more-or-less regular basis.

What I've done significant coding in:
C++ First language
Java
C# This is what I've been using a lot of recently for Revit plugins (university project in conjunction with US Army Corps of Engineers)
Javascript - I hesitate to say significant, but I've used it along with C# for the uni project

I don't even remember what else I've used.