Time to reinstall windows...

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Time to reinstall windows...

Post by Gogeta70 »

Yeah, it's that time again...

And while i'm at it, i'm going to take the liberty of deleting all the old useless shit on my hard drives. I have at least half a terabyte of space, but almost all of it's taken up O_O

Gonna encrypt the system partition with truecrypt as well, since i have the opportunity...

This sucks though... have to install all the shit i need again (photoshop, codeblocks, vlc, firefox, etc etc...

Yay me...

While i'm at it, anybody know of a small compact antivirus without all the bullshit features? I know bad brain will recommend kaspersky, but i'm not a fan of it after trying it...

I want one that i can turn off and on, and will actively scan all running executables for viral activity, plus files on my hard drive. That's all. Hell, do they even make those anymore? lol...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Time to reinstall windows...

Post by eppik »

Well i've been using Microsoft security essentials, it doesnt complain, and once you turn it off its REALLY turned off. It does scans and is easy to handle. (and yes it actively monitors your processes and stuff) Also on normal operation it only consumes about 4MB of RAM

Also....get rid of Firefox and go grab Chrome :D (No, seriously)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I only recommend Kaspersky up to the 2009 version, after 2009 it began to suck, especially the firewall... :roll:

what about the windows version of clamav? the only drawback is that it's not doing on-the-fly scans, you have to run scans manually... http://www.clamwin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials. I like it. It's got a nice clean interface. Having just looked it up, Ars Technica has a positive write up about it and that's when it first came about about a year ago. You'll need Windows to be able to pass Genuine Advantage.

Ars Technica reviews MSE

Code: Select all

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/first-look-microsoft-security-essentials-impresses.ars

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

Ninite Easy PC Setup

On-the-fly disk encryption is pretty awesome. I use it too, in the form of geom_eli in FreeBSD.

That said, I'll recommend you install something like FreeBSD so that you don't have to fuck with viruses and reinstall every few months.

Also, text-based configuration is heaven. New system? Just copy your configuration files. It's the best thing since sliced bytes.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, i'm not reinstalling due to viruses. It's just i'd like to be able to scan some of the files that i download before running them, instead of uploading them to an online scanner.

Also, i want to stick with windows because i like playing games, a lot of which can't be run in WINE. Also, i develop C++ applications for windows computers ^_^.

I wish windows had something where you could just copy your configuration over and be done, that would rock! And thanks for the ninite link, definitely will save me a lot of time.

Just freed up a ton of space on my drives, drive C: will be where the new install of windows goes, and E: will be formatted after the new install, because E: is running the windows that i'm on right now.

J: and D: are both just extra space, and what's left on them is what i'm keeping, for the most part.

Before, j: only had 10 gigs left and d: only had 20 lol.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, the install went pretty well, and ninite really helped too ^_^

I knew that truecrypt had the ability to encrypt a partition without deleting the data on it, what i didn't know is that feature is only available for windows vista and windows 7. I reinstalled windows xp.

So now, i'm sitting here with my thumb up my ass moving 90 gigs of data around >_<

Yay me.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

happy waiting time....I had to move 933 GB from one external HDD (1 TB one) to another (1.5 TB one) a while ago...Zen moments... :lol:

eppik

Post by eppik »

bad_brain wrote:happy waiting time....I had to move 933 GB from one external HDD (1 TB one) to another (1.5 TB one) a while ago...Zen moments... :lol:
Oh I know what you mean, did about the same (700 gigs of a misc of Large files and small files (music, videos, ISOs) from 2 1TB drives to one 1TB drive , and once I saw the time it would take i was like "Yeah...time for a nap" :D

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I remember way back when I decided to encrypt my 500GB external HD. It took me the entire weekend to have it fully encrypted and move all the stuff on there. I even wrote a blog entry about it: http://lyecdevf.blogspot.com/2008/11/to ... aying.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal