DHCP massive requests

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

DHCP massive requests

Post by l0ngb1t »

i have a case where the network include 153 hosts with 100 hosts DHCP enabled
i notice that every morning when the employee boots their workstation the network is flooded with DHCP request causing a temporary broadcast storm...
any one have an idea about how to avoid the broadcast storm and make the requests impact lighter on the network traffic ?
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: DHCP massive requests

Post by bad_brain »

static IPs. it would of course take a day to configure every host in the network (maybe 2 including troubleshooting, so it's a weekend job), but it has additional advantages besides solving the DHCP problem:
- every host can be identified (like 192.0.1.25 = office #3 desk #2), this makes troubleshooting much easier
- a much more effective firewall setup is possible

another option would be to divide the network into 5 (for example) subnets, where every subnet has an own router. with 100 hosts every subnet would have 20 hosts, and those hosts would get their DHCP IP from the subnet router....and the 5 subnet routers would get their DHCP IPs from the main router (or use static IPs).

the 1st option makes of course more sense because no additional hardware is needed and it's technically much more simple.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

well i have to say that your answer made me fool good :P
'cause I've been thinking about it and no other solution came across my mind other then the 2 you mentioned above...

Thank you.
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

you're welcome... :lol: