Disappering files or folders

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Disappering files or folders

Post by DrVirus »

Despite being completely out of game for the last year or so I still manage to encounter some really decent problems every now and then. The most recent one was a virus infection and really got me thinking. A SD memory card got infected with some stuff and it started to act real strange.

All the folders and files in it except for exes the virus created were gone. At first I thought they might be hidden. So I went folder option and changed it. But still no sign of them. I knew they weren't deleted cause the drive space was including them and my recovery software could detect them but wasn't marking them as deleted.

So I went to cmd and did this : -
attrib -s -h *.*

attrib -s -h *
attrib -s -h /d /s

And voila they were back. Good as new. Strange ?? You tell me. Any inputs guys ? I really wanna go behind the scene with this one and all helps are appreciated and if any other docs dealt with a similar virus and know which it is, it would be nice if you mention it. I wanna study it more. Thanks people

Cheers

DrV

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Disappering files or folders

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, all the commands do pretty much the same, they simply remove the "hidden" attribute.
the first 2 ones do it for all files by using the wildcards, the 3rd command does it recursive by including folders too (/d switch).

if it was a virus it was a pretty cheap one, because if you replace - with + and run attrib +s +h /d /s the files (in your current directory) are all hidden again (that's what the malware did)... :wink:

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

It's interesting that changing the hidden attribute only worked for him through cmd and not through the folder options.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it depends on what folder options he used. "show hidden" files will not show a file if it is labeled as system file too (+s switch in the attrib command), so to see them both options have to be enabled in the folder options ("show proteced system files" too).

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

bad_brain wrote:well, it depends on what folder options he used. "show hidden" files will not show a file if it is labeled as system file too (+s switch in the attrib command), so to see them both options have to be enabled in the folder options ("show proteced system files" too).
yes.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Artificial Interceptor

Post by Artificial Interceptor »

you can use the God mode
Sincerly Artificial Interceptor [i]aka[/i] Plexrod
Music is Art!!.. Hacking is Art!!

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Nectrix placed my question perfectly. That's what I wanted to know. And yeah B_B both options were checked in my folder option. Can this be a system related problem that they didn't effect ??

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, can only be registry-related then.... :-k