Software: Concept to Creation

Questions about programming languages and debugging
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Software: Concept to Creation

Post by maboroshi »

Does anyone have any resources on software design, such as the steps involved starting from the concept to the creation of the software.

Most my projects are starting to require that I have a thorough plan, that I can no longer keep in my head because the projects are to big.

I am sure everyone (who has been to school at least) has a way to approach this (I haven't been to school) so would appreciate just a simple step by step write up that I can look further in to the concepts you guys write.

thanks for the advice

*cheers

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Software: Concept to Creation

Post by reparto »

Generally speaking the elements of designs apply to all industries and lines of work.
Start with setting the aim (i.e. A program that downloads a webpage)
Then set the requirements (i.e. Command Line Interface, user inputs a URL, HTTPS support etc.)
You will also have to give requirements priorities so you know what is a necessity and what is a gimmick
Now you find ways of fulfilling the aim, this can be done in anyway that works. (This step can be done in many ways and there is no "right" way just more efficient ways.
If working in a group I would suggest making a mindmap with the aim in the centre and then the initial branches are the requirements and components of the program, the secondary branches are concepts for the individual topics. (i.e. Use libcurl or custom http lib)
If working alone I would suggest the same ;D
Now that you have ideas, you have to decide which ones to use, here you have analyse the concepts objectively and see how efficient they are at fulfilling their purpose. (i.e. libcurl would take up more space than a custom solution, but a custom solution would take longer)
Now you build a prototype and test it.
Adjust the prototype as required and continue until you have a finished product.

Optional:
Evaluation (What went wrong, what you could have done different.)

Probably didn't use the best example but it should be clear how you should approach designing.

Books:
Pretty much any decent book on design will say something along the lines of what I have just said, software design books will obviously give a more specific process rather than my generalised explanation.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Here's the process that I learned in school: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Ration ... ed_Process" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

@reparto, seems about what I was looking for. The mind map suggestion is very helpful.

@ph0byx thanks for the link, it's nice to see one of the processes in play by schools and should prove helpful

*cheers

Mabo