Old ASP.VB code, need to identify it

Questions about programming languages and debugging
ayu
Staff
Staff

Old ASP.VB code, need to identify it

Post by ayu »

I managed to write http://www.code.suck-o.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; instead of just code.suck-o.com, seems there's a "hidden" pastebin there?
It looks separate from the usual one, since I'm the only one that has posted there xD

Anyway, it will work for this thread :P

I found some code that has been, or is already, running on a server somewhere.
The server is most likely a Windows 2003 server, and as far as I know it only uses legacy stuff, and I'm not even sure if it has .Net installed.

This is the code I have, and what I want to know is, what exactly is it, and what dependencies would it have on a server?
I intend to setup a server with the exact (or at least as similar as possible) settings, so that I can write another script for the server that ran this script.

Code: Select all

http://www.code.suck-o.com/42533
I assume this is pure VB script, but does it need .Net?
If I try to install IIS 6 on a Windows 2003 server it will tell me that it intend to install .Net as well, so does that mean that this other server has .Net as well?

The thing is, that I already have a clue that says it's not running .Net, but it talks to a database as you can see in the code.

Anyway, any ideas?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Old ASP.VB code, need to identify it

Post by bad_brain »

well, usually you don't use www. for a subdomain, because that makes it a sub-sub domain... :lol:
but yeah, it's some weird behavior caused by the wildcard domain together with the rewrite rules for the pastebin, maybe one day I'll get into it... :lol:

what was the topic again? oh, right:
it seems to be VB6 (by the "cmd"-syntax), which means pre-.net, there is also no .net needed for database interaction, from VB6 on it can be done via ADO (which is called in line 14).
sadly I don't fully understand what the script is actually doing without seeing it in context with the full site...but my guess would be a "lost password" thingy....because there is no input for a password (only for the username), and it seems to cause an outgoing email... :-k

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

From what I understand off the top of my head. VBScript is a scripting language similar to what Javascript is and works on the client side. At least that's what I remember.

So I assume whatever you need server side for what looks like an older ASP (Maybe) is what you would set up.

VB6 was not accessible via webpages from what I remember.

*shrugs

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanks a bunch guys, I have done some more research on the script and where it comes from.
The script is running on the server side and is used when authenticating a user.

I will setup IIS 6.0 with VB6 then, thanks! :)

This will result in a very long blog post from me btw, look forward to it :P
(Today IS blogging and hacking day after all ;))

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I have looked around a bit more, and it seems that it's VBScript only, and not VB6.
Can this be correct?
Or is there anything else in the code that says otherwise?
ADODB can be used with VBScript apparently, and doesn't need VB6.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...I think you're right.... :-k
I have checked the differences between VB6 and VBScript, and there is nothing (like specific functions) that would be VB-only, also the code format (kinda like a Batch file) points to VBS.
it still COULD be VB6 because from what I know (which is not THAT much I have to admit, so I could be wrong) you can do everything with VB6 that can be done with VBS and the code would look the same, but not vice versa (because VBS is missing some functions of VB6). but ok, it would be kinda silly to do something that can be done with VBS with VB, only because you can....so imo it's VBS with a 99% chance.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

hmm okay, well I will play around some more with it.
It's for a little ..uhm.. "project" of mine ^^

Expect a very long article about it