New to Coding - Maybe C++

Questions about programming languages and debugging
sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

New to Coding - Maybe C++

Post by sun7 »

Peace,

Im looking to get into coding to add onto my career path into security. I have 7 yrs experience on hardware and troubleshooting service desk side of technology. Thanks to this site, I received my A+ network + and will take my security + when ready.

I wanted to land a job in programming and I hear that C++ is always great to get into. I have researched a lot but I personally don't know any programmers from my previous jobs. Anyone here into programming and good at code have any thoughts about C++ for getting into the security field. Also what types of things do C++ programmers do on daily tasks at their jobs. What issues arise and what do you do to fix them?

I have seen the Networking and Security fields and would rather learn coding now in my career before I enter further into the security field. I know it is a must and I;d like to attack my weakness and also work on smaller projects once i'm done watching tutorials and practicing some code.

Peace Sun7

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: New to Coding - Maybe C++

Post by lilrofl »

Which programming language to start with is one of those hot-bed topics where everyone will have a different opinion.

I (of course) recommend python as a first language because it's powerful, concise and easy to learn. More importantly I would recommend it for a career in information security because it is robust, portable and well developed to the task.

That being said; I feel that in the realm of full languages, Java would be more useful than C++ because it is widely implemented, and doesn't have as big of a learning curve... then again I think C++ is hard to read, hard to code and hard to love :D

In the end programming logic and processes are portable; so, what language you start with is less important than picking and starting to learn one.

Congratulations on your A+ and Network+ certs, and a future congratulations for Sec+ as you acquire it :)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I agree with lilrofl. For a security based career I recommend Python. But at the same time I recommend at least understanding C/C++ enough to be able to work with ctypes and eventually cython. Those are a bit further down the road when learning to write code.

Perl, Ruby, PHP are good scripting languages to be at least familiar with as well. I think in an IT Security field having a good amount of knowledge, adaptability and resources is essential.

Programming in Security goes far beyond writing exploits. And I would say writing the code for a found exploit is really a minimal task.

I would recommend starting with C or C++ though as a starting language. Simply because it's more difficult than most scripting languages and allows for a higher degree of learning when acquiring the fundamentals of programming.

Maboroshi

sun7
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by sun7 »

Thanks for the information. It looks like I should dive into C++ and see where it takes me. After going through the tutorials, test and videos, it seems like im left out there stuck. What is a good program to write as a beginner?

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Write as much code as you can to start, even if copying others code. Follow tutorials, that show code, copy their code (manually, no cut n paste) then start debugging your code that you wrote from these guides.

Begin in learning how to work with programming, you will know how to write it naturally (overtime) and learn valuable skills in problem solving.

Once you can follow the fundamentals you will write code naturally this will be because of your study (reading, vids), writing and debugging code.

That is my suggestion

*cheers

Mabo