First Programming Language

Questions about programming languages and debugging
alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

First Programming Language

Post by alien100 »

Hi Everyone
I need some advise I am starting to program and I don't know what language to start with.Something for a beginner?

Tep
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Tep »

easiest is HTML but its not really considered a programming language yet its good to know and best place to start out and after you get a good feel for that i woould Move on to C++ thats just me

others on this site will most likely give some other basic languages that they think is best to move on from after HTML so really its just personal prefference.

alien100

Post by alien100 »

i already know html i also heard that python was good

Tep
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Tep »

ok cool well do a little homework and figure out what you like best i just liek C++ cause most progs. nowadays are scripted in C++...if that then Assembly which is a bitch to learn

but it all depends on what you wanna do like Web Design then you should look into like PHP AS Java ect.

or software which is C++ ect.

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Some good advices from a vacant coder (last job involving Microsoft Visual C++ blew a fuse in my poor brain), so :

1) If you learn a programming language, stick to it until you can make jokes in that language, i.o.w : don't learn two and a half languages at a time.

You already know HTML, well go for scripting :
- clientside : JavaScript
- server side : PHP, ASP(.NET), etc..

2) After experimenting a bit with one programming language, well :
- test yourself and make something of your own from scratch ( calendar, agenda, a game..), and see if the language, its syntax and its inherent "flow" fits your goals / needs.

if you feel like for example : Perl doesn't really like you because you don't agree on the way it handles Object Oriented syntax, don't feel like you lost time : proramming /scripting languages have all the same principes and learning process, so skipping to another will be easier

It is *always* in a similar order:

- data types
- variables, declarations
- operands/quantifiers/modifiers
- data handling : scalars, litterals, lists,arrays, pointers, hashes
- data flow / data structure ( loops, functions, for , while, yay! :-)
- objects and or classes | classes and invocations.
- database connections / Web-apps, etc..

Once you have a `catch' on these, you'll be fine and ready to learn your "prefered" and "fallback" program language.

3) If you want to start with the Latin of the computer : do C and only C and then C++ ( C with `objects')

4)if you want to do more abstract, the "inner language" , the KlingOn of computers, do a variant of ASSEMBLER ( but beware ...)

5) Happy programming and Good Luck !

--
100% FrankB (Kyoto ratificated meat )