Nice web crawler type of code I made

Questions about programming languages and debugging
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Nice web crawler type of code I made

Post by floodhound2 »

All right.
I have debugged and developed a piece of code that searched the internet for what ever I want – currently it retrieves the temperature for my home town. Then it sends all the information to my server - that I am having some company host. My web site is automatically up dated and I can adjust the time intervals in which it updates. I think that this rocks because I can get news, data, and other things that I want. If some one wants a copy of the code or just the executable let me know and ill send it. It was written in VB6  but hey the thing works great.

Check out my site and see it for your self.
http://www.floodhound.com

PEACE
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

LoL, at school we had to do something like this... it was a little java program that get all link from a page...

By doing this, some of us made a little c++ appz which steal all drum tabs from website. We had like 10k tabs in like 5minutes!

Good job
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

p99
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by p99 »

I uh heard from a uh little birdie that you can look for file types. Like jpg or mpeg..... :lol:

Making things multi-threaded speed things up.... and kill your bandwidth faster. I screwed areound with a python script i found that did this. Let's just say I filled my hardrive with downloaded "samples" in a few hours.

But nice application. I'm sure we'll be doing this in my VB class soon. Nvm the school district decided that we shouldn't have access to the internet with programs in vb and c++. Only those 2 languages.... I can still use a compiled python script and do some socketing. So... that's school security I guess :?

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

yeah thats cool, and it would be cooler if you can directly fetch readings from a thermometer at your home, that way :D

p99

Post by p99 »

You could do that with much less than a webcrawler.

I guess somewhat like you can have a camera that updates it's picture every 5 seconds and the page refreshes.

Just have to get the reading from the thermometer to the computer.

I just remember seeing this guy from microsoft came and showed off his nifty rf-watch. He was having information constantly sent to it over FM radio waves. News weather.

I bet the FM service costs a fortune to use though. But cool nonetheless.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well I basically go to the website and download the html code. Then I do some string manipulation giving me the results I am looking for. I toss pictures and the sort I just wanted the temp.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ