GUI in C++

Questions about programming languages and debugging
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

GUI in C++

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Is it possible to make a GUI in C++ that's not the default windows one?

btw: I'm using XP pro sp3

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

What do you mean by "default windows one"? You can make a GUI to look like whatever you want. And the default one that Microsoft uses would be WinAPI. But there are some other ones as well that would be better to use if you want to use it for multiple platforms. Some of these are...

wxWidgets
GTK
QT

I'm using wxWidgets at the moment at Uni, and if you want to use it, I recommend that you download wxWidgets DEVCPP or take a full course in Visual Studio, because getting it to work under Visual Studio is a fucking pain in the rear.

Both GTK and wxWidgets are good and easy to learn because they are very "logical" (as in, it's pretty easy to make out what the code means by just taking a quick look).
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Yeah before you posted that I downloaded wxDev-c++ and I'm messing around with it. Thanks for the help though, I'm kinda new to C++.

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

The "default" look is on every program you compile. Its how Windows loads up the program if you don't pass specific parameters to have an extended style added to the windows procedure. This would be too advance for you if your asking.

What you want to do is learn how to "skin" your program. So that you make a bitmap file, and make a part of it transparent so it changes the look of the application. Its not that hard to do as it sounds:

Code: Select all

http://www.rohitab.com/discuss/lofiversion/index.php/t27876.html
Maybe that could help. :wink:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]