How long to learn

Questions about programming languages and debugging
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

How long to learn

Post by Kirk »

I'm wondering how long it would take me to learn the various languages?

What language How long

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. ~Robert H. Schuller
God is the greatest.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

any specific language in mind? hard to say it in general, because Assembly for example will surely take longer to learn than Perl... :-k

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I want to eventually work my way up tho c++ but lets start with something simple. I know HTML is not a programing language but I learned it in about 2 months from reading a book while in prison all I need is a little practice at it, which I am doing. I guess I would start with something like Java, Perl, or Visual Basic, right? Give me some advice here.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I would say

Post by maboroshi »

I would say start with C++

IMO Any programming language will teach you programming. How long it will take will depend on you. Learning the language is one thing applying it to the real world is another.

I can say I know any language because I have learned the fundamentals of programming

C++, Java, PHP, Python, Ruby can all teach you this

Anyway I won't say anymore

*cheers

Maboroshi

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

young warrior in training asks "Sensei when will I be done with training?"
Sensei replies "When you die."

That above applies to your study of internet, computers, and coding.

One of the best advice I can say is start with your HTML, it will help you learn how to structure your code, and how important little details are (try missing a / or >) java is popular with HTML, and has roots in C/C++. You can try to find a college/school text book for C+ programming, or tutorials online - something to start from the basics and work up to "hello World" :wink:

I also want to point out, I don't code. There are plenty of libraries of code already written, there for cut and paste. It helps to understand code. But I rather consider my self a Network Tech (builds systems) or a Sysadmin (understands how to administer networks). The world of CIS/IT is so vast, and it can be so specialized in each area.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Allow me to add my 2 ₵ worth.

I program electronic hardware daily and I find myself with a different point of view than others when it comes to learning your initial set of machine speaking skills. I learned C first, or maybe it was assembly nevertheless, everything else fell in place after that first hurdle. You may learn, like many of us, several languages. Soon it all becomes the same shit as you learn more and more types of languages. Like DNR mentioned most languages have modules that are written already so a little copy and paste becomes handy.

Good Luck and ask many many ?'s

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Can you recommend some good sites to check out? Also, DNR, you typed that there are libraries of code to cut and past with; where are they? I've been looking around but haven't found anything that really stands out. Thanks

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

As for the site's I'd recommend www.w3schools.com
It's the place where I've started. But rather than reading and learning HTML, CSS on that site, I've studied the code of several sites and started to build my own even though I knew only the basics of the basics. w3schools was just a help-out. Learning while doing.

As for the coding languages, here's (was) my plan:
HTML > CSS > JavaScript > PHP > C++ & Python > ...
I've reached JS so far. I'll have to skip PHP because I'll go to collage soon and start learning C++ there, and I plan on learning Python at home at the same time (if I make it).

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

for me i wanted since long time ago to learn programming, and this though didn't evolve well until i participated on this site.
but my issue is that i have to focus on my studies (not related to computers; nursing) and i want to try my best to learn a programming language...
i started to read about C++, but i never made to set the wheels on moving on, im thinking now to focus on some thing simple.
i hope that i learn a programming language in a while.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

well learning programming can be easy if u learned some algorithms witch is the basic of programming
my first language was C and i learned at college and it's great most student find hard when it comes to array but after that it goes easy
and abt the period question well it depend on how much u want to spend time in reading and learning but i think 2 hours daily should get u somewhere after 2 months
and this link is good for those who wanna start learning C++

Code: Select all

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
after all am still a beginner in programming but i wanna learn mooooooooreeeeeeeeeee and still have a long way to go so i can get use of the pro advices here

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Kirk, i think it really depends what you want to accomplish, for instance are you looking to create desktop applications that interface with hardware (ie a cd burner/dvd copier) or are you looking to develop something for the web(ie a website, framework or service)

Really you should plan out what you want to learn. HTML, as you said, is not really a programming language, yet in essence it is, its primary goal is page layout and applying that knowledge can help you to tackle new languages.

I started programming with an RAD (Rapid Application Development) Language - Visual Basic the syntax is quite easy to learn, for desktop applications.

A great programming language to start out with for the web is PHP, its open source and there are tons and tons of documentation out and about for it. (http://www.php.net is the homepage)

To sum it up, i remember your post on Flyninja, and your summary story, so I think one of the best ways for you to learn 'out of the box' is to head to a local bookstore like Borders (or head over to Barnes and Noble.com) and pick yourself up a beginners book for what interests you the most.

Look for books published by O' Reilly, and Peachpit Press, usually these two have excellent lineups of current languages ;)

hope this helps

(resources)
O'Reilly
Peachpit Press
PHP.net
Visual Basic
Barnes and Noble

coderx2009

Post by coderx2009 »

I advice you to begin with VB6 and the language it depend to you want is what you will do or cde with.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

coderx2009 wrote:I advice you to begin with VB6 and the language it depend to you want is what you will do or cde with.
Don't bump 4 month old threads. Also why would you advise to begin with VB6? Just curious.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well VB has some great features and since most home computers run Windows; the question is why not?

It amazes me how many people frown on VB but in all seriousness I can use VB to do amazing things. Practically anything in VB for that matter. I have made key-loggers to web-crawlers and web-browsers to artificial intelligence. Why not learn it? The only limit is that its not going to run on a Linux machine and its not portable like C.

I can say Kirk to, just pick a goal and do it. Regardless if you know the language or not.

Sometime I design a robot from spare parts and I have to learn a language based on that part. A processor may run better in C or better in assembly. I can say that over time you will learn many many languages. 8)