is it possible...

Questions about programming languages and debugging
bozotheclown138
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

is it possible...

Post by bozotheclown138 »

to start coding by learning vb6 or delphi first? or rather should i say is it easy enough to start from or should i learn something else first? because i'm rather impatient sadly and i'm trying to learn these two by looking at some basic tutorials and by tutorials on HH.
i already have turbo delphi 2006 and microsoft visual studio 6.0 btw

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Why do you want to learn delphi and vb?

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Visual Basic and Delphi are great languages for quick-guis. But a language like VB brings bad coding habit into play, so trying to learn another new programming language would be more of an adjustment.

I recommend sticking with Delphi, because Delphi enforces some better programming techniques then VB does, but both are great programming languages. VB you should look more into Windows API (Application Programming Interface) to get you more associated with windows and there internals and how graphical interfaces come put together.

:wink:

Maybe you should try to learn one language at a time though
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

bozotheclown138

thank you ebrizzlez for your feedback ill try to work with delphi more, but you see i live in 2 different spots due to family issues and turbo delphi wont install on my computer here while it will at my other house and i havent tried putting vb6 on at my other house yet haha so ill probably work with both anyhow.

and well i've always wanted to learn a language and since i get bored easy it'd have to be something where the final result would be something i think was neat, and i find the viruses and hacking stuff neat so i figured hey delphi and vb6 are commonly used for that and there are plenty of tutorials on HH for them too.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

VB is pretty much never used for exploits / viruses. I suggest starting with c/c++ or python (python's syntax is easier to learn).

bozotheclown138

oh arnt a lot of tools coded in vb though? and yeah ive heard python and ruby are the basics pretty much

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

There are several reasons why you shouldn't learn VB as a first language. The most important reason is that it's such an easy language(E.g., so high level) to write code in, that you would be starting out way too easy and you'd get the 'wrong impression' - or rather, get bad coding habits because you'll be writing code where so much is done for you beforehand.

On top of that, its syntax is not like any other language's syntax, and it's fucking ugly. Java, C#, C, C++, javascript and fuckload of other language have somewhat similar syntax. This makes it easier to learn other languages if you learn one of the above, as it'll feel familiar.

The last poster asked if a lot of tools weren't coded in VB and so on - yes, there are ample amounts of lame viruses, 'hacking tools' and whatnot written in VB6 on the net. This brings us back to the "easy language" part, as it simply shows that it lets people who can't write code for shit, write code that works. 13 year old wannabe hackers writing DoS tools and whatnot.

I would highly recommend C++ for your first language. Learning one language to learn another makes no sense at all. Programming languages aren't in some hierarchy of usefulness - you don't learn language A first because it's a 'starter language', so you can learn language B. Language A is probably good for certain tasks, while language B might be better for something else.
This is why I recommend C++ - it's one of the most used languages in the world right now for professional development. It'll be a learning curve, but you'll end up with a lot of knowledge about your own system, how shit works behind the scenes and so on. You wouldn't get the same thing were you to learn a language like python, perl, java, C#, vb6 or vb.net, or any interpreted/bytecode-compiled language first, and you'd be fucked if you had to move from those to another, lower-level language.

Those languages are still very good, but if you start out with them, they can easily give you bad programming habits.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Well said IceDane, I agree that c++ (or c), is one of the best languages to start out with, since you can do ... well .. anything with it. It's very flexible and there are tons of libraries. I suggest reading The C Programming Language 2nd Edition. It gives tons of examples and exercises as well as teaches you exactly what's going on in the code. I uploaded it here:

http://www.zshare.net/download/64208332fd666489/

visser

Post by visser »

im working with c++ myself as of now. its a great way to start off. ive got plenty of books on the subject that im pouring over. its easy to learn and quick too!

send me a PM if you would like some book suggestions :wink: 8)

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

f4Gg0t_43 wrote:VB is pretty much never used for exploits / viruses. I suggest starting with c/c++ or python (python's syntax is easier to learn).
Is it possible to make exploits / viruses in python ? :roll:
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

moudy wrote:
f4Gg0t_43 wrote:VB is pretty much never used for exploits / viruses. I suggest starting with c/c++ or python (python's syntax is easier to learn).
Yes of course. The main reason I mentioned it was because it has easy syntax.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

f4Gg0t_43 wrote:
moudy wrote:
Yes of course. The main reason I mentioned it was because it has easy syntax.
thanks for the reply f4, cause right now I'm learning python.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

bozotheclown138

alrights thanks for all the help again